Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New problem, old car.
I have a problem with fuel leaking onto my intake manifold. I have read the possibilities lie in one or two areas. The injectors themselves or the rubber fuel lines leading to them. The car just turned 210,000 and the problem exist with a few of the injectors. Any solutions????

Joe

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
> New problem, old car.
> I have a problem with fuel leaking onto my
> intake manifold. I have read the
> possibilities lie in one or two areas. The
> injectors themselves or the rubber fuel
> lines leading to them. The car just turned
> 210,000 and the problem exist with a few of
> the injectors. Any solutions????

> Joe

Hi Joe- The Chilton manual has a procedure to replace the rubber hose portion of the injector. I have read it and if it works out, why not. However I do not have much faith that it really does. If I were you I would consider replacing the injectors with rebuilt or new. If you are going to keep the car why not keep it up in it's best shape.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> New problem, old car.
> I have a problem with fuel leaking onto my
> intake manifold. I have read the
> possibilities lie in one or two areas. The
> injectors themselves or the rubber fuel
> lines leading to them. The car just turned
> 210,000 and the problem exist with a few of
> the injectors. Any solutions????

> Joe

Had the same problem with mine at about that mileage, I just replaced all the injectors, they were around $45 a piece when I did it two years ago. That would be your best bet, you'll need the 6 injectors and an o ring kit ( $15 I think). If you want to try replacing the rubber first pull off the injectors cut the rings that lock the old hose to the fuel rail, get some new high pressure fuel hose and some hose clamps and replace the hose. I've torn the injectors apart before and if they're leaking externally that should fix you problem. Make sure you replace the o-rings too.

jared

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I agree with Jared, and here's why. I had the same problem. The cheapest fix was new O-rings, so I bought those and started to replace them, only to find a couple of the plastic insulator things were cracked. So I got a set of those, put it all together and I still had fuel leaking onto the manifold. Next, I followed the procedure in Chiltons to replace the originally crimped-on hoses leading to the injectors. Many curses, $$$ and pints of blood later, I put it back together and it still leaked. Then I did what I should have done in the first place and replaced all the injectors.
Incidentally, all this happened about the time California changed to its new, cleaner gasoline formulation -- you know, the one with MTBE in it that everyone is screaming about now. Anyway, I read somewhere that something in the new fuel accelerates the rotting process of all marginal fuel fittings, particularly rubber. So I blame the original leaks on that. In fact, I ended up having to replace all the rubber hoses in the whole fuel system because they started leaking slowly, too.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I agree with Jared, and here's why. I had
> the same problem. The cheapest fix was new
> O-rings, so I bought those and started to
> replace them, only to find a couple of the
> plastic insulator things were cracked. So I
> got a set of those, put it all together and
> I still had fuel leaking onto the manifold.
> Next, I followed the procedure in Chiltons
> to replace the originally crimped-on hoses
> leading to the injectors. Many curses, $$$
> and pints of blood later, I put it back
> together and it still leaked. Then I did
> what I should have done in the first place
> and replaced all the injectors.
> Incidentally, all this happened about the
> time California changed to its new,
> cleaner gasoline formulation --
> you know, the one with MTBE in it that
> everyone is screaming about now. Anyway, I
> read somewhere that something in the new
> fuel accelerates the rotting process of all
> marginal fuel fittings, particularly rubber.
> So I blame the original leaks on that. In
> fact, I ended up having to replace all the
> rubber hoses in the whole fuel system
> because they started leaking slowly, too.
We sell the remanufactured Borg warner fuel injectors for 45.00 each, sell all of the seals, stock it also, most of the time. Also, the cracked
injector blocks can be replaced with the earlier style metal set ups, which we have used. Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.