ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 76 280Z. Afew years ago it was vandalized and I needed a quick engine replacement. I installed a 79 ZX engine.(tremendous drop in performance - a mistake)I used the 76 injectors & they function. However,I notice the injectors for 79 & 76 are not the same. Whats the difference? Would changing the injectors to the 79 type improve performance,mileage etc ? I have the 79 injectors that originally came with the ZX engine, so it doesen't mean buying replacements. Eventually I'd like to reinstall the old 76 rebuilt & improved, but until then the 79zx is acceptable and dependable. I'd like some feedback, thanks.

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> There should be no significant differences
> in performance between the two engines.
> Sounds like you've missed something else
> that is wrong. Maybe the '79 motor had some
> problems ( did you test the compression? )
> all other things being equal.

> Doug Dawson
> [email protected]
My compression is excellant & the 79 is a good engine but it doesn't lift my front end up like the stock 76 did.The manual say there was a drop in HP of maybe 30 something HP after 78. I'm using memory so don't nail me on accuracy.Also I had to replace the tranny because the same peaple who vandalized my engine put metal shavings (as from a machine lathe)in my tranny.The new one had a different response. Both were 5 speeds. Back to the original question about injectors. When ordering new ones they make a distinction between 76(z) & 79(zx). WHY? Which is optimum for my application? I've been using this setup a few years so it does work .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.