ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 76 280Z. Afew years ago it was vandalized and I needed a quick engine replacement. I installed a 79 ZX engine.(tremendous drop in performance - a mistake)I used the 76 injectors & they function. However,I notice the injectors for 79 & 76 are not the same. Whats the difference? Would changing the injectors to the 79 type improve performance,mileage etc ? I have the 79 injectors that originally came with the ZX engine, so it doesen't mean buying replacements. Eventually I'd like to reinstall the old 76 rebuilt & improved, but until then the 79zx is acceptable and dependable. I'd like some feedback, thanks.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
> I have a 76 280Z. Afew years ago it was
> vandalized and I needed a quick engine
> replacement. I installed a 79 ZX
> engine.(tremendous drop in performance - a
> mistake)

There should be no significant differences in performance between the two engines. Sounds like you've missed something else that is wrong. Maybe the '79 motor had some problems ( did you test the compression? ) all other things being equal.

Doug Dawson
[email protected]

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> There should be no significant differences
> in performance between the two engines.
> Sounds like you've missed something else
> that is wrong. Maybe the '79 motor had some
> problems ( did you test the compression? )
> all other things being equal.

> Doug Dawson
> [email protected]
My compression is excellant & the 79 is a good engine but it doesn't lift my front end up like the stock 76 did.The manual say there was a drop in HP of maybe 30 something HP after 78. I'm using memory so don't nail me on accuracy.Also I had to replace the tranny because the same peaple who vandalized my engine put metal shavings (as from a machine lathe)in my tranny.The new one had a different response. Both were 5 speeds. Back to the original question about injectors. When ordering new ones they make a distinction between 76(z) & 79(zx). WHY? Which is optimum for my application? I've been using this setup a few years so it does work .

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Which Transmission??

> My compression is excellant & the 79 is
> a good engine but it doesn't lift my front
> end up like the stock 76 did.The manual say
> there was a drop in HP of maybe 30 something
> HP after 78. I'm using memory so don't nail
> me on accuracy.Also I had to replace the
> tranny because the same peaple who
> vandalized my engine put metal shavings (as
> from a machine lathe)in my tranny.The new
> one had a different response. Both were 5
> speeds.
Bob,
The '76 didn't come stock with a 5-spd. It wasn't an option until '77 so I assume that the tranny was a later addition? Also, in 1980 the gear ratios in 1st & 2nd gear in the 5-spds was changed to a lower number numerically which means you get less accelleration unless you also change the stock '76 3.545 ratio differential out for the ZX 3.90 ratio differential.
I don't think my concern would be as much for the injectors as for which transmission do you have and do you have the right differential to go with it.
Quick test. At 50 MPH in 5th gear is your engine rpm less than 2,000 - like around 1850? If so, it's a later model ZX transmission and you need the 3.90 differential. It will make a significant difference.

Back to the original question about
> injectors. When ordering new ones they make
> a distinction between 76(z) & 79(zx).
> WHY? Which is optimum for my application?
> I've been using this setup a few years so it
> does work .
Put the injectors specified for the 79ZX motor in it. If it has worked fine so far - don't mess with it.
Hope this helps,
Phantom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.