ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was removing the passenger side front (nearest the fan) fuel injector (using the dremmel method) and when the injector broke loose and came out, the plastic covering the pintle broke off down in the injector hole and when I tried to retrieve it with needle nose it dropped down into the intake area where the fuel sprays - and is nowhere to be seen. I cannot believe this happened - this is the 5th one I've changed and never had this problem. I am thinking this is going to screw up something for sure with a foreign object that huge in there. Am I doomed?

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Use a shop vac on the throttle body intake with the throttle open, or find a way to seal the vac to the injector opening and open the throttle to let lots of air flow. If you're lucky it will pull it out. If not, you could try spinning the engine with the plugs out and it will either blow out the exhaust or the plug hole. Try those things first, you probably don't want a little piece of plastic jamming the exhaust valve open while hot exhaust gases are flowing past.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Might first want to try taping a sock over the end of shop vac hose, with a little bit of cotton sock a couple of inches into the end of the hose. Then using a piece of 1/2" corrugated wire loom taped around every few inches, duct taped throroughly past the sock on the end of the hose and over the sock. Gently put it down the injector hole with the shpp vac on. You can pull the hose out of the vac and turn it upside down to see if the plastic thingy falls out.

Or alternately, tape a piece of 3/8" Tygon tubing to the end of the hose and hope you hear the tone of the shop vac change a little if the piece sucks over the end of the hose restricting flow.

.02 versus bouncing the piece around the intake or up into the cross rams.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the fuel injector broken piece

Appreciate the feedback. I was able to attach a soda straw to the business end of a shop vac and fished it through the injector hole. Took me about 5 tries, but finally SUCCESS! The plastic piece stuck to the end of the straw and I pulled it slowly through the hole and out completely. Hallelujah! Now on to the dreaded injector #6 !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts