ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
>Down and dirty... my son installed new injector connection using crimp connectors instead of the recomended method of soldering.
>My question assuming we didn't do any perminent damage to anything is..
1 Are there any special precautions we should use in soldering these connections?
2 Is there any special type of solder that needs to b used? Or specific heat range of soldering iron etc etc
>As a note prior to replacing these connections the car had been running fine with the exception of a connector coming loose on occasion
>Any help or advice in getting my son and I's toy back up to snuff will be greatly appreciated. Tkx Popeye

· Registered
655 Posts
Check the archives on this subject. But the wires involved have specific places i think one is numbered and one not. As far as the solder and iron use a rosin core for any electrical connection and the irons would be a matter of preference. the smaller the diameter of solder the easier it is to melt etc.. You probably have confused the wires on the connector but there are many more apt to give a better answer.
Enjoy the ride!

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
35 Watt Weller Pencil...

That's the iron I used, with a 2.5mm tip.
Fine-wire Rosin-cored solder.
Used two small legnths of shrink wrap for each individual wire, and another 1/4" shrink tube over that all the way back to the factory harness cover. Looks really nice, and the 1/4" stuff went right up to the back of the connectors I installed, so when it shrunk over it, it looks factory stock. I shrank it with a heat gun, but you can use a hair dryer...

· Registered
2,156 Posts
Re: 35 Watt Weller Pencil...

hey great idea on the shrink wrap over the connector!
i was going to bite the bullet and buy some factory rubber ones

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fuel injectors conn/motor fubar

>Ok guys we went thru and properly connected the new fuel injector con. and I'll swear that they're correct and admit I'm trouble shooting stupid when it comes to engines.
>Here's the deal, and hopefully someone can give me some direction to head.
>The engine will start but idles very rough if it stays running..apears to have a bad miss at all rpms.."all the plugs are fouled with a light film of either oil or fuel or both..we've got spark at all cyl. but i wouldn't swear to how good it is.. it actualy ran on 3 cylinders.
>I haven't checked the the timing in awhile and didn't have a lite last nite to recheck it. Cap and rotor look alittle worn but not excessivly. Plug wires don't have that many miles on them. This isn't a daily driver.
>I know my son adjusted the valves by the book a month or so ago but i don't see this a posible factor but...
>Fuel/fuel pressure??
>Ignition???
>I just don't know and the fustration factor is increasing and it seems like we're missing somthing obvious.
Help....Popeye

· Registered
1,760 Posts
things to check

did it run ok before messing with the injectors connectors? Do a search on my name... about a week ago I posted the wiring order for the injectors. You do not want to get the wires crossed.
Check the wires to the water temp sensor, thermotime, (plus the bullet connectors in the wiring harness for those connectors, located about a 1' back from the thermostat housing), afm, tps, ect. Did and plug wires get mixed up?
A factory service manual (not a Haynes or Chiltons) makes troubleshooting easy.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: things to check

>Thanks for the info John. I'd forgot to mention that we had black smoke but my son did in another posting. turns out that the water temp sensor plug was fubar making car run rich . We keep learning every day! As a precaution we're replacing all the fuel injector type connectors to keep from looking foolish again. We've got the factory manual on cd need to spend more time trying to figure it out. popeye

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.