ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1976 280Z that ran perfectly 2 weeks ago when it was parked. When attempting to start it recently, the car would run for approx. 2 seconds and the engine would quit. The fuel pump relay cuts out when the engine stalls. There is fuel in the tank, I have power to the cold start injector, but cannot get power to the # 6 injector as this is the only one I tested by pulling the wire and trying to verify using a 3 volt test light inserted into the plug. I was told that the computer may malfunction if the battery voltage is around ten volts. (I have not verified this as yet) Any suggestions would be appreciated. Brian

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
more than likely, all of your fuel injectors are off line, and it is starting off the cold start injector, check your wiring harness, ecu fuse, ecu connection, relays etc.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> more than likely, all of your fuel injectors
> are off line, and it is starting off the
> cold start injector, check your wiring
> harness, ecu fuse, ecu connection, relays
> etc.
Check fuel injection relay under the steering wheel 99%

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> I have a 1976 280Z that ran perfectly 2
> weeks ago when it was parked. When
> attempting to start it recently, the car
> would run for approx. 2 seconds and the
> engine would quit. The fuel pump relay cuts
> out when the engine stalls. There is fuel in
> the tank, I have power to the cold start
> injector, but cannot get power to the # 6
> injector as this is the only one I tested by
> pulling the wire and trying to verify using
> a 3 volt test light inserted into the plug.
> I was told that the computer may malfunction
> if the battery voltage is around ten volts.
> (I have not verified this as yet) Any
> suggestions would be appreciated. Brian
Brian, it sounds like the brain is not working. Is it possible that the car had a dead battery, and could have got jumped started backwards?
That would fry the brain, and then it will only run on the cold strt injector for a few seconds.
We have plenty of brains if you want to try that. thanks, Joe 1-800-533-5659

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> more than likely, all of your fuel injectors
> are off line, and it is starting off the
> cold start injector, check your wiring
> harness, ecu fuse, ecu connection, relays
> etc.

It obviously is not getting enough gas. If you say that it will run for a few seconds, then it is probably running off of the cold start injector like lynn said. Make sure that you check all of the injectors. I had a similar problem and only checked two injectors and naturally assumed all were working. It turned out that only two were working, two were clogged, and two had bad connections. If they are clogged then try this: take each one off and use an air compressor to push air through the injector itself by opening it using a 12v source. It worked for mine and I was driving that night.

If they are not clogged, then check the following: air flow meter, throttle valve switch, water temp sensor, thermotime switch, ECU.
These all have signals that are inputted into the computer. Hope it helps out
JN

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
> Brian, it sounds like the brain is not
> working. Is it possible that the car had a
> dead battery, and could have got jumped
> started backwards?
> That would fry the brain, and then it will
> only run on the cold strt injector for a few
> seconds.
> We have plenty of brains if you want to try
> that. thanks, Joe 1-800-533-5659
Brian,
I assume that you are having to jump the car. I would charge it very well before I tried to start it. It is true that the injectors will not fire with less then 9 volts. I think that it may be as simple as clogged injectors. The solution to this is simpler than compressed air sometimes. Sometimes not. Ron at RC engineering told me when my injectors were clogged to take a big screwdriver about 10 long and a hammer. Put the slot end of the screwdriver on the metal portion of the injector and give each one a good rap. You can hit them pretty hard. This will free them up enough to allow you to start the car. Now listen to each injector by putting the screwdriver on each injector and listening with your ear on the handle for a tick while the car is running. Any one that doesn't tick needs another good rap. I am not kidding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.