ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a mechanic who specializes in Z cars ask me if I had every had my fuel injection system tuned? He indicated this is something that is periodically required on the Z fuel injections systems.
Anybody ever heard of this? Anybody ever had it done? Cost? Results?
Phantom

·
Registered
432 Posts
> I recently had a mechanic who specializes in
> Z cars ask me if I had every had my fuel
> injection system tuned? He indicated this is
> something that is periodically required on
> the Z fuel injections systems.
> Anybody ever heard of this? Anybody ever had
> it done? Cost? Results?
> Phantom
Phantom, i bought a Z new in 1978 and still drive it every day. i put 250,000 miles on the original motor before swapping in my new turbo motor. the only thing i ever did to the injection was to pour a quart of transmission fluid into the gas tank every 6 months. i had the engine dynoed last summer and the stock motor with 250K miles put 125hp to the wheels. they told me this was pretty close to original power. preventative maintenance rules, my man!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
> Phantom, i bought a Z new in 1978 and still
> drive it every day. i put 250,000 miles on
> the original motor before swapping in my new
> turbo motor. the only thing i ever did to
> the injection was to pour a quart of
> transmission fluid into the gas tank every 6
> months. i had the engine dynoed last summer
> and the stock motor with 250K miles put
> 125hp to the wheels. they told me this was
> pretty close to original power. preventative
> maintenance rules, my man!!!

What does the transmission fluid do? Please explain. Thanks.

Phantom,

There's this recluse guy here in Salt Lake that has a Z bone yard. I have been going to him for years to get stuff and recently, since the body restoration on my '78 a year ago, have been picking his brain, more and more about performance. Turns out this guy used to race these cars in the 70s and 80s and seems to know all the tricks.

He told me a couple months ago that I needed to pull my injectors and bring them to him to have them cleaned and flushed. Said he'd charge me forty dollars + a few bucks a tip if they needed replacement. I had never heard of doing this and kept pushing him for more info.

He claims that you can literally watch them clean up as he cycles them on his cleaning bench. So, I plan on doing this when I get some time, as I will have to pull the fuel rail and start over with new hoses, etc. I figure that needs an overhaul anyway, so might as well have the injectors cleaned while I'm at it. In the mean time, I thought I'd give them a good flushing every gas tank with some Techron. After a few tankfulls I think I can honestly feel a difference.

He also told me of a little trick, which I think I've read on these posts as well. You open up the side cover on the AFM and release the tension on the spring a few teeth to allow the flap to open more easily. You do this by turning a holding screw slightly, making sure not to allow more than about 5 notches.

Two other things, not injection related, that he recommended for peak performance. Advance timing to about 16 degrees, and adjust valves perfectly while hot. He told me if I wasn't fast enough and it starts cooling down to put the cover back on and run it up to temp again before continuing. When I thought about it, it made pretty good since, why would you adjust while cold, hoping that the .002 change is accurate for your motor.

I did all these things and it made a significant difference in performance. Unfortunately, I did them all at once, so I can't say if any one adjustment didn't contribute. When I finally have him flush my injectors, I'll post the results.

After reading many of your posts, this is probably all pretty redundant to you, but maybe someone else can benefit from my ramblings.

Matt

PS. I changed to Mobile 1synthetic 10-30 and the new NGK four pronged plugs, was using Bosch. It might be my imagination, but it feels smoother, and stronger.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: transmission fluid tune-up

> What does the transmission fluid do? Please
> explain. Thanks.

Phantom, the xsmn fluid does the same thing the recluse racer does below, except you don't dismantle your F.I., and you get to keep more of those hard-earned $$$'s. actually, back when we were running carbs(a.k.a. the '70's) some guys would dribble it down the carb throat to clean the carbon off the valves and combustion chamber. it made a really cool cloud of white smoke out the exhaust!! it is a wonderful and very effective cleaner. all the old timers swear by it...cheap and it works!!! just don't over-use. like anything a little goes a long way. 1 quart in a full tank of gas.

> Phantom,

> There's this recluse guy here in Salt Lake
> that has a Z bone yard. I have been going to
> him for years to get stuff and recently,
> since the body restoration on my '78 a year
> ago, have been picking his brain, more and
> more about performance. Turns out this guy
> used to race these cars in the 70s and 80s
> and seems to know all the tricks.

> He told me a couple months ago that I needed
> to pull my injectors and bring them to him
> to have them cleaned and flushed. Said he'd
> charge me forty dollars + a few bucks a tip
> if they needed replacement. I had never
> heard of doing this and kept pushing him for
> more info.

> He claims that you can literally watch them
> clean up as he cycles them on his cleaning
> bench. So, I plan on doing this when I get
> some time, as I will have to pull the fuel
> rail and start over with new hoses, etc. I
> figure that needs an overhaul anyway, so
> might as well have the injectors cleaned
> while I'm at it. In the mean time, I thought
> I'd give them a good flushing every gas tank
> with some Techron. After a few tankfulls I
> think I can honestly feel a difference.

> He also told me of a little trick, which I
> think I've read on these posts as well. You
> open up the side cover on the AFM and
> release the tension on the spring a few
> teeth to allow the flap to open more easily.
> You do this by turning a holding screw
> slightly, making sure not to allow more than
> about 5 notches.

> Two other things, not injection related,
> that he recommended for peak performance.
> Advance timing to about 16 degrees, and
> adjust valves perfectly while hot. He told
> me if I wasn't fast enough and it starts
> cooling down to put the cover back on and
> run it up to temp again before continuing.
> When I thought about it, it made pretty good
> since, why would you adjust while cold,
> hoping that the .002 change is accurate for
> your motor.

> I did all these things and it made a
> significant difference in performance.
> Unfortunately, I did them all at once, so I
> can't say if any one adjustment didn't
> contribute. When I finally have him flush my
> injectors, I'll post the results.

> After reading many of your posts, this is
> probably all pretty redundant to you, but
> maybe someone else can benefit from my
> ramblings.

> Matt

> PS. I changed to Mobile 1synthetic 10-30 and
> the new NGK four pronged plugs, was using
> Bosch. It might be my imagination, but it
> feels smoother, and stronger.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

> Phantom, the xsmn fluid does the same thing
> the recluse racer does below, except you
> don't dismantle your F.I., and you get to
> keep more of those hard-earned $$$'s.
> actually, back when we were running
> carbs(a.k.a. the '70's) some guys would
> dribble it down the carb throat to clean the
> carbon off the valves and combustion
> chamber. it made a really cool cloud of
> white smoke out the exhaust!! it is a
> wonderful and very effective cleaner. all
> the old timers swear by it...cheap and it
> works!!! just don't over-use. like anything
> a little goes a long way. 1 quart in a full
> tank of gas.

Sounds a lot like Marvel Mystery Oil. My dad used to use the stuff in his gas to clean his valves & down the throat of the carburator to clean it. Great stuff - and still available.
I may have injector problems but they are Nissan injectors with just 50,000 miles on them and have run nothing but high test gas. I'm pretty well convinced that my problem is somewhere in the sensors, controls, and contacts in the injection system. I'm putting a fuel pressure gauge in line sometime in the next week to confirm that my pump, check valve & pressure regulator are all OK.
Thanks for the input.
Phantom.

·
Registered
486 Posts

About the tranny fluid, what kind, weight, auto or stick, and how much gas to one quart, my tank is about 21 gallons, in a zx.
Thanks,
Joshua L.

·
Registered
680 Posts

> About the tranny fluid, what kind, weight,
> auto or stick, and how much gas to one
> quart, my tank is about 21 gallons, in a zx.
> Thanks,
> Joshua L.

I want more info for the trasmisson fluid for the gas tank now will it work for a 83 280zx turbo I dont want any thing to be wrong if I do this.

·
Registered
432 Posts

> I want more info for the trasmisson fluid
> for the gas tank now will it work for a 83
> 280zx turbo I dont want any thing to be
> wrong if I do this.

Guys,

i use the cheapest fluid i can find at k-mart or wherever. no need for the fancy stuff. you are not interested in paying for additives, just the cleansing effect of the fluid. 1 quart per tank is a rule of thumb, and a 21 gal tank still needs only a qt. btw, i have used techron on a rare occasion when i wanted to treat the car extra special, but it really wasn't necessary. xsmn fluid is light enough to mix readily with your gas, and like i said before, because of residual buildup in the tank, once every 6 months is plenty for maintaining a clean system. to clean dirty injectors, try a qt with every other tank for a couple of months.

Phantom, the best thing i ever did for my old F.I. system was to get a new set of injector connectors from Arizona Z. they are the quick disconnect style, and stopped the rough running and hesitation. you can tell if the connectors have corrosion by the condition of the protective boots...cracked boots = trouble!! when you replace them, remember the di-electric grease!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: auto tranny fluid...sorry, Joshua

> About the tranny fluid, what kind, weight,
> auto or stick, and how much gas to one
> quart, my tank is about 21 gallons, in a zx.
> Thanks,
> Joshua L.

talking about the auto xsmn fluid Joshua. the manual stuff is too heavy to mix well ( at all) with the gas.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Re: auto tranny fluid...sorry, Joshua

Tim,
Thanks you very much for the info. I have 215K on my injection system without many problems, just one temp sensor is bad so it runs rough until warmed up a little, but that should be fixed in this month. Thanks again, I will try it right before I pull the engine to swap and take a look at the inside of the thing, valves, etc.
Joshua L.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.