ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1982 280ZX that I am in the process of replacing all the fuel hose that are attached to the gas tank. I replaced the two vent hoses with regular fuel hose and the return with fuel injection rated hose. I am having a problem finding the hose that goes from the pump to the tank, it has the spring coil wrapped around it. I tried a 3/8 but it does not fit, even with a heat gun, lube, etc. My next option is a 7/16 fuel hose but I cannot find one that for "fuel injection". I read the service manual and I believe the fuel pressure is at 36 psi. Can I use regular fuel hose or does it have to be fuel injection rated? The tank is dropped and I only want to do this once, the right way. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well, common fuel hose is rated for a service pressure of 50lb., and, as I recall, a burst pressure rating of something north of 100lb. "FI" rated hose is considerably higher.

While the conservative approach says "overbuild everything", there is another canard that "it's good enough for government work" that is not necessarily the battle cry of a fool.

On the other hand, you might want to Google fuel hose SAE standards to understand that lines like vapor, have special hose construction requirements, different than just fuel delivery.

I suggest that your answers lie in the homework.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 1982 280ZX that I am in the process of replacing all the fuel hose that are attached to the gas tank. I replaced the two vent hoses with regular fuel hose and the return with fuel injection rated hose. I am having a problem finding the hose that goes from the pump to the tank, it has the spring coil wrapped around it. I tried a 3/8 but it does not fit, even with a heat gun, lube, etc. My next option is a 7/16 fuel hose but I cannot find one that for "fuel injection". I read the service manual and I believe the fuel pressure is at 36 psi. Can I use regular fuel hose or does it have to be fuel injection rated? The tank is dropped and I only want to do this once, the right way. Thank you for your help.
It’s a regular fuel hose that is 1/2” that what was stock. High pressure ones are needed after the fuel pump. One issue I had was getting a 90 degree bend in it.

·
Super Moderator
41,003 Posts
You are simply wrong on your measurements. You had 12mm hose, and if you look at Autozone you will be able to find 12mm EFI Rated Hose. Yes, they may call it '7/16" Hose'

Worst case, you simply go to the dealer and order a new hose as on a ZX those are some pretty convoluted hoses and the moulded hoses off the top of the tank really make routing easier.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info. 1/2 inch hose was way too big, even by just looking at it so I got the 7/16 instead. It fit perfectly to the fuel pump and but alittle looser to the tank. I clamped everything down nice and snug. I was told that anything before the fuel pump was low pressure and regular fuel hose would suffice. I attached everything back up and got the car running, so far so good. If anything happens now I know to look for 12mm efi rated hose

1 - 5 of 5 Posts