ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a '77 280 and all of a sudden I turn the key and don't hear the pump running fuel! It just happened tonight on my way out. Luckily I had another car, but I want to know where I should start in the morning? Fuel pump, some sort of electric fuel sensor...? I just don't know. I will check my chilton manual before I start freaking out. I was just wondering if anyone else has been here before with some advice.
Thanks for ANY help you can offer.

~Terry

·
Registered
571 Posts
You sure you can hear that pump over the car cranking?
If it was that loud maybe it was on the way out.
I would first push the coil jumper in just for kicks.
Maybe it's this simple, worth a try.

Madeline
Maa Da Line

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only heard it before I cranked. You know...a little fuel in the right place before I started her up. It always worked great! I WILL check the coil jumper, thanks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Common Problem

It could be the FI relay above the fuse box (there are several right there). I don't know how to tell you which one of them it is but it is pretty much square and not one the bigger ones. If your pump is not getting +12V DC this is probably the problem.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Disconnect the small gauge wire from the starter solenoid and turn the key to "start". The engine will not turn over and you should hear the fuel pump run. What happens?

Reconnect the wire to the solenoid. Put the key in "run" and gently push the door in the AFM open. Does the pump turn on?

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If I remember right the fuel pump doesn't run in the start position, only in the run position. Unless the AFM is tweeked you shouldn't hear the fuel pump in the on position either with the car off.

The suggestion with opening the the AFM door is good (79-280-ZX Post) to check that the fuel pump it actually working.

However, I would look into the ignition system, that you have spark and the coil is working. Cause even if the fuel pump is not working there will be some pressure in the lines and the car will start for a short time.

Later,
Aren

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always thought that humming sound(when I turned the key to the "on" position) was the fuel pump. Whatever that sound was...it's not there now and it will not start. I guess I'm needing to find out what made that sound and just how I can get it back. I will check my spark and look it from that angle for a while. Thanks for your imput, I do appreciate it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.