ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I seem to be getting fuel in my oil! It gets to the point that my oil becomes thin enough to foul my plugs. when that happens the engine will flood periodically and the only way to get it running again is to change the oil, clean or replace the plugs, disconnect the fuel pump and start the engine to run the fuel out of the cylinders, reconnect the fuel pump, and then it runs fine again until the oil gets thin again. The wierd part is that it seems to run fine with new plugs and new oil, i mean no smoke, no rough idling etc... The car will use approximately a quart of oil on a 300 mile trip. my thinking is that the rings are bad and I've discussed it with the Nissan dealer and thats the only thing they can figure. This is a 1983ZX, non-turbo, with 125,000 miles. Is there anything else I should check before a major overhaul? Just for info, had a rebuilt head put on about three years ago, and have checked the PCV valve and it seems to have good suction.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
How do you drive your car?
Do you do a lot of town driving?
Do you let your car warm up properly before driving it?
These are conditions that can cause gas blowby to mix and the oil doesn't heat up enough to burn the gas out of it. Also I'd replace your thermestat and run a 180 deg. in the winter, I've read that the L6's like to run hot anyway. If you don't do the above things and also have a overly rich mixture it really adds up also.
I have a pretty used 240Z that burns a little oil and am running dual webers, but I don't have any problems with the oil as I follow the above rules religiously. this is all I can think of right now, good luck..

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Help! I seem to be getting fuel in my oil!
> It gets to the point that my oil becomes
> thin enough to foul my plugs. when that
> happens the engine will flood periodically
> and the only way to get it running again is
> to change the oil, clean or replace the
> plugs, disconnect the fuel pump and start
> the engine to run the fuel out of the
> cylinders, reconnect the fuel pump, and then
> it runs fine again until the oil gets thin
> again. The wierd part is that it seems to
> run fine with new plugs and new oil, i mean
> no smoke, no rough idling etc... The car
> will use approximately a quart of oil on a
> 300 mile trip. my thinking is that the rings
> are bad and I've discussed it with the
> Nissan dealer and thats the only thing they
> can figure. This is a 1983ZX, non-turbo,
> with 125,000 miles. Is there anything else I
> should check before a major overhaul? Just
> for info, had a rebuilt head put on about
> three years ago, and have checked the PCV
> valve and it seems to have good suction.
It seems more like you are running too rich, start by checking your fuel pressure, with engine on, and after shutting it off, to make sure an injector is not bleeding off. Once the oil becomes contaminated with gas, the rings may not be sealing up, and you will go through oil (mixture), and may lose bearings.
I had one come in running so rich that the cat had ignited the excess unburned fuel, and burnt the bottom of the car up. It ended up needing an afm, as apparently it had gone down a boat ramp into the water. Good luck, Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.