ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my '81 280zxt there is close to, if not exact, a 21 gallon gas tank. now with my z i can get 20 and sometimes close to 25 miles a gallon at 60 mph. would it be worth it to drop the tank and add a fuel cell to save weight? i know i can not fill it up all the way but has anyone done this? is there a cell that will bolt in or would it have modified? thanks for any input. bama

·
Registered
139 Posts
So... I think you are in search of less weight, equals better performance or you just want a bigger tank? There are fuel cells that you can get from Jegs or Summit that will work with a little ingenuity. You can go to a bigger cell or smaller cell, whatever you like, but personally, don't bother unless you need to replace you existing tank or are doing some sort of racing. The weight loss isn't as dramatic as you may think, it's not very much. You can do many other things to loose weight on your car, if that was what you are after, but if you want a bigger fuel cell, then you have to figure out if the bigger fuel cell will fit under your car.

!M!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Actually a fuel cell will probably end up weighing more. The foam doesn't last forever, you gotta pay extra to get a fuel level sender, etc., etc. I wouldn't recommend it for the street.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What they said plus if you have efi you'll need a surge tank as fuel cells are not baffled,foam doesn't count, ask me how I know . By the time you're done you'll easily be into $500 or more. Check out ATL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.