ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any advantages to using any fuel additives, like an octane booster, fuel treatment etc...? I was just flipping through the February addition of Modified Mag, and they havea a large section on them, but doesn't cealerly describe any real gains by using these products, I was just wondering. Thanks

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Only additive worth anything would be Stabil or some other kind of fuel stabilizer used to store a Z for long periods. As far as driving - just stick to high grade gas and forget the additives.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
yeah, the fuel nowadays has so many additives and cleaners in it already that I doubt it would make much difference. Spraying some carb/fuel injector cleaner into the TB's will clean out more than any additive to the gas tank would. The only thing it wouldn't help is anything from the fuel lines to the gas tank. . .but I wouldn't think that'd be a big issue as long as the fuel filter's clean.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alrite
it didn't seem like any of them were that useful, thanks.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Nope, useless. To my knoweldge not one advertised octane booster works. Now toluene is another story. Also certain way to ramp up the octane is some nice simple race gas.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Well, GUNK fuel injector cleaner is pretty handy to run through an old car every now and then. When I first bought my Z 2 years ago, it seemed unusually slow and would kinda surge now and then. Ran two bottles of GUNK Fuel Injector Cleaner and cleared it right up after two tanks of gas using it. I haven't had to use it again since, but it definitely helped quite a bit.

So I guess what I'm saying is, it did definitely do something beneficial, but you'd only need it if you have a problem. If you car is running fine, there is no commercial additive that will really make a significant difference. You'd be wasting your money to put in some fuel treatment bottle with every fill up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.