Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope everyone had a great holiday.
I put new eibach springs and tokico struts on my 83 9 months ago and the front left strut has always made noise. I finally had some time to fix the the problem by tightening up the gland nut. The thing did not move. Question do i need to take the spring off the strut to tighten it? Plus since i put everything back together the rattle has become worse.
Do i need to put a spacer in the strut to prevent it from rattling?
thanks for the help
Web 83 ZX

·
Registered
26 Posts
> Hope everyone had a great holiday.
> I put new eibach springs and tokico struts
> on my 83 9 months ago and the front left
> strut has always made noise. I finally had
> some time to fix the the problem by
> tightening up the gland nut. The thing did
> not move. Question do i need to take the
> spring off the strut to tighten it? Plus
> since i put everything back together the
> rattle has become worse.
> Do i need to put a spacer in the strut to
> prevent it from rattling?
> thanks for the help
> Web 83 ZX
It is posible that you may not have put everything back together properly at the top of the strut. Check that area.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I had this problem in my 83 with gabriel struts and regular springs. It is very dangereous if it comes off, mine kept stripping out. It just did not fit properly. Make sure the nut goes all the way into the strut tube. I went to monroes for the time being, and they are fine, better metal for the nut. I jacked the car up to get the nut back in once, take the pressure off the wheel and with the stock springs I could get channel locks between the coils, but I am not sure about the Eibachs. I can not do the same thing with the Tokicos i have now. I used lock tite on the sucker and it is put. Highly recommended from me!!! Get it fixed, it IS VERY dangerous, and makes the steering horrible. If you can not get it through the spring, take it off. I got real profiecienct at it, I have done it about 5 times for the right, until locktite entered the picture. It now takes me about 5 minutes to get it out once jacked up, and about 10 to put in and bleed. Taking the spring off takes the longest if you have to use a compressor. Good luck.
Joshua L.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
> Hope everyone had a great holiday.
> I put new eibach springs and tokico struts
> on my 83 9 months ago and the front left
> strut has always made noise. I finally had
> some time to fix the the problem by
> tightening up the gland nut. The thing did
> not move. Question do i need to take the
> spring off the strut to tighten it? Plus
> since i put everything back together the
> rattle has become worse.
> Do i need to put a spacer in the strut to
> prevent it from rattling?
> thanks for the help
> Web 83 ZX
Thanks for the advice. I am not to worried about it falling apart but the rattling is driving me crazy.
Wish i had more time to work on the car.
Web 83 zx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.