ZCar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have suggestions where I can get:

1. Front shocks that either include the spring as a unit or have the flange on the cartridge that receives the existing spring. Shops tell me the flange is welded on the old cartridge and the new cartridges can't be installed.

2. A company or service, other than Ebay, that refurbishes a/c compressors or can suggest a new/different readily available compressor that can be used instead of refurbishing the original compressor.

Many thanks!

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,330 Posts
Does anyone have suggestions where I can get:

1. Front shocks that either include the spring as a unit or have the flange on the cartridge that receives the existing spring. Shops tell me the flange is welded on the old cartridge and the new cartridges can't be installed.

2. A company or service, other than Ebay, that refurbishes a/c compressors or can suggest a new/different readily available compressor that can be used instead of refurbishing the original compressor.

Many thanks!
1) What year is your Z? I have an 1983 and the shock cartridges are replaceable.

2) I'm also searching for a compressor rebuilder. If I find a source I'll post it.

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,330 Posts
The spring perch is welded to the MacPherson strut. The shock cartridge goes inside the strut.
That's right. I am having trouble visualizing why the shock cartridge can't be changed. It's a pain to get the spring off, but then taking off a large nut at the top of the shock tube allows removing the shock.

I suspect the shops in question have never changed shocks on this model Z.

It would be helpful to refer to the service manual, available for free at Nicoclub.com.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's right. I am having trouble visualizing why the shock cartridge can't be changed. It's a pain to get the spring off, but then taking off a large nut at the top of the shock tube allows removing the shock.

I suspect the shops in question have never changed shocks on this model Z.

It would be helpful to refer to the service manual, available for free at Nicoclub.com.
Thank you! That's encouraging. I've had 2 different shops send me away over this. The Z mechanics I've gone to in the past have all retired. I have a couple of people I can call to refer a shop and I will let ya'll know how it works out. Much appreciated!

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,330 Posts
Check out the service manual so that YOU know the system.

If you have a reasonable amount of experience, front struts are quite easy to remove. Take them to a tire shop and have them remove the springs. Then change the shocks yourself, and go back to the tire shop to have the springs remounted. Much safer for you. I have used spring compressors in my driveway and it was OK, but I'm much happier NOT having to do that. I'll pay a shop to get the springs on and off.

Don't forget the other small stuff that goes with this, including protective dust boots. The '83 FSM indicates a "gland packing" at the top of the shock assembly on page FA-5 but I never found one when i did the shocks on my '83. Perhaps YMMV.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check out the service manual so that YOU know the system.

If you have a reasonable amount of experience, front struts are quite easy to remove. Take them to a tire shop and have them remove the springs. Then change the shocks yourself, and go back to the tire shop to have the springs remounted. Much safer for you. I have used spring compressors in my driveway and it was OK, but I'm much happier NOT having to do that. I'll pay a shop to get the springs on and off.

Don't forget the other small stuff that goes with this, including protective dust boots. The '83 FSM indicates a "gland packing" at the top of the shock assembly on page FA-5 but I never found one when i did the shocks on my '83. Perhaps YMMV.
Thank you! I have that same manual and will give it a thorough reading. My experience underneath is limited to brake pads starters and alternators but I will take a look and see if I think I can do it. Thanks so much for all the info!

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,330 Posts
The manual lays it out pretty nicely. There are a few details like the "gland packing" and special tools that can get confusing. I took the big nut holding each shock in place loose with a rathe large set of "water pump" style pliers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The manual lays it out pretty nicely. There are a few details like the "gland packing" and special tools that can get confusing. I took the big nut holding each shock in place loose with a rathe large set of "water pump" style pliers.

I actually have a large one of those. I may give it a try, thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
As for the AC Compressor, it depends on what system you have . If it's an early Z it's probably an ARA dealer installed system. They used York compressor. The old systems used R-12 refrigerant, which today is hard to find or VERY expensive if you do ( $80-$90/ pound). You can convert the system over to R-134A Refrigerant but you need to rebuild the compressor, flush the system, use different oil, and change the fill /gauge fittings. If your going to convert it to 134A, rather than rebuilding the compressor, changer it over to a Sanden compressor. They are readily available on ebay. You'll need a different mounting bracket but they are also readily available. If you have a later model Z with factory installed AC I'm not sure what they used but I'm sure some of them used R-12 refrigerant.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As for the AC Compressor, it depends on what system you have . If it's an early Z it's probably an ARA dealer installed system. They used York compressor. The old systems used R-12 refrigerant, which today is hard to find or VERY expensive if you do ( $80-$90/ pound). You can convert the system over to R-134A Refrigerant but you need to rebuild the compressor, flush the system, use different oil, and change the fill /gauge fittings. If your going to convert it to 134A, rather than rebuilding the compressor, changer it over to a Sanden compressor. They are readily available on ebay. You'll need a different mounting bracket but they are also readily available. If you have a later model Z with factory installed AC I'm not sure what they used but I'm sure some of them used R-12 refrigerant.
It's a 1982 zx, non-turbo. The Sanden compressor is what I was wanting to learn! The system was converted to R-134 about 6 yrs ago but the compressor was not rebuilt which might explain why it only lasted about 2 months before failing. I'm only just now able to try and deal with it. Your info may be the solution I was looking for. Would you be able to provide links on Ebay for the correct compressor and mounting bracket? There are several to choose from. I've attached an Ebay picture of a used compressor just like mine for reference. Any help with narrowing it down would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts