ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Often enjoy reading how members keep their Z's together as the years pass. After several fixes on my front bumper cover while also continuing to catch it on those wheel stops in parking lots considering a replacement for all or a portion on the bumper cover. Stillen Lip Spoiler Type III looks nice and at $229 not too costly (plus paint and install, more $$).

What I do not quite understand is whether this Stillen Lip Spoiler is the whole bumper cover or just the lower portion below the turn and park lights? If the latter does it fit over the existing and attach along the groove the runs around the front under the turn and park lights? If so that sounds fairly simple if effective.

I did review a bunch of bumper cover topics but still not clear on total or partial replacements. Courtesy Parts does offer more complete looking "bumper covers" by JDM. Personally I prefer the original design like Stillen offers.

Since it is very common to see the Z's with torn or damaged front bumper covers or spoilers, or fascias or whatever you call them. Some experienced discussion on replacement would be most appreciated.

With much thanks, Barry aka fourcents

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
It's the lower portion below the lights as you described.

If you're going to continue to "catch it on those wheel stops in parking lots", what makes you think you won't just ruin the Stillen lip too?

Please, be more careful and always be aware that your Z sits lower than those parking spot barriers.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Barry,
You are correct, the Stillen Type III is an addition to the existing oem fascia and fits over top of the existing lower portion of the fascia. It 'snaps' into place in the groove below the turn signals and driving lights as you describes. Installation is very easy, simply two sided tape and a few screws. They typically don't need any work due to fitment issues, usually just good prep and paint.

You will notice that the Type III sticks out further than the oem lower fascia so it's even easier to drag and catch on parking stops. It is urethan so it has a little flex but it will still destroy the paint.

Most other fascias available are total replacements. Most will have at least minor fitment issues other than the '99 JDM version which you mentioned that Courtesy carries.

Here's a picture of the Type III on my Z

Post Edited (Jan 10, 10:17am)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Z-CARR you right why replace what your will continue to damage? But I love my wife for a thousand other reasons than her lack of depth perception. We both love the car but fixing things is my responsibility. Thanks for all the pics and input. Looks like over-laying the lower portion makes the most sense.

So buy the Type III, paint, and stick on. I like both designs by Stillen. Maybe the black one above with the wide lower lip might be a tad stronger? Wondering if there was an electric sensor that could be mounted on the front? Commercial restrooms have them so on their lavs so why not on my Z?

Driving home last night in our other car, a black Z stopped next to me at the light and stayed near for a couple miles. What a pleasure it is to look upon a 300Z. So fine compared to the other stuff on the road. Very few cars have so fine a blend of form and function, quantum transportation?

Barry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.