ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put new tie rod ends on my car, had the front tires balanced, and the front end aligned. On my way to the Westcoast Nationals the steering wheel would shake when ever I was above 50 mph. This did not happen before I made the above changes. I'm sure I need to replace all of the bushing rubber and get new front struts, but, could there be other problems? Could the alignment still be off? ANY ideas would be helpful...Thanx.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i know my 240 is very sensitive to tire pressure. i know that sounds unlikely, but when the pressures are not equal, the car starts to shake a little. also, if you don't want to spend the big bucks yet, try replacing the steering rack bushings. this is a pretty simple procedure and shouldn't cost you more than $35 for urethane.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have replaced the rack bushings arleady, and the tire pressure is at 35 psi. I may try rotating the tires and see what happens.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
with the front off the ground and steering wheel locked try moving the tire, check inner tie rods play. maybe by replacing the outers,any play in the inners became more pronounced...uhhh....maybe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On mine the gear inside the steeting rack is worn out and is causing vibating. Only noticable after I fixed all those other parts. Supposively it is adjustable so you should be able to tighten it up. You can look at the steering rack and wiggle the steering will if you can wiggle the steering wheel and don't see any movement of the rack or the wheels that gear is probably loose. Sam 75 280z, 81 280zxt

·
Registered
645 Posts
i had a similar problem on my 72. while my tires were balanced, the rims weren't mounted dead center on the hubs. turned out there was some play in my lug nuts (wheels are lug centered on these cars), so I grabbed a new set, which wasn't so easy to find cause my rims are old Applicance 5 slot mags, but that solved the problem.

btw, if anyone has a center cap(s) for the above mentioned wheels, I'd gladly take em off your hands!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot about that. I had the same problem as James with mitsubishi starion rims I had on my car....very real possibility

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.