ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try a quickie job of replacing the front cover (timing chain cover) gasket and the crank pully seal as they are leaking, but I need to get the car back on the road the next day. I will also make gaskets for the oil pump e.t.c which need to be removed to take off the front cover.

Problem is, the front cover joins the head gasket underneath the cylinder head at the top. Can I remove the front cover without damaging the head gasket? There are no bolts between the front cover and the cylinder head. If it were to be damaged, is there a good sealant that can be used?

The same problem occurs at the bottom of the front cover - it joins the sump. I have heard rumours that the sump is not removeable of the 260z without lifting the engine. Can I slide the sump back from the underneath cross member without damaging the oil pickup line? I do have a sump gasket for replacement. I don't want to be buggering around lifting the engine if I only have one day. There are bolts running through the sump to the front cover, so I probably would like to replace that gasket as I might damage it removing the bolts.

Other than that, any suggestions? I've already decided I'm going to have to remove the hood, radiator, distributor and oil pump to gain access. Am I kiding myself to think all this can be done in one day (and night). I have already collected all the parts, coolant e.t.c.

·
Registered
820 Posts
no dude it is very easy, just time consuming ( 1/2 a days worth). the head gasket will not be damaged because the part that sticks out doesnt have anything to do with sealing the cylinder head to the block. you can unbolt the front of the oil pan and the timing cover will come right off. do not pry the front crank pulley. you will probably bend it. try to get a puller on it if you have one. use some emery cloth to clean the surfaces before you put the new gaskets on. other than that it is simple. have fun, i just did mine when i put the p90a head in. later

david karey
www.socalz.org

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hold on now..

You said that there are no bolts holding the head to the timing cover, but actually there are two 10mm bolts at both the left and right front corners of the head. If you don't take those off and manage to get the timing cover off you are in a world of hurt.(^o^)
You said "I will also make gaskets for the oil pump..." If I was you, I'd just go out and buy gaskets, rather than making them. The potential for disaster isn't worth saving $8.50 unless your motor broke in the Outback, which doesn't seem to be the case.
Like ghostkilla2179 said, remove all of the pan bolts, then just drop the front of the pan down. You may have to (in the Haynes Manual parlance) prise the front cover from the block. That doesn't mean beat on it with a hammer. Be nice to it.
Last thing: you might want to consider why the front seal leaks. If you've already pulled the damper pulley, check it to make sure that it isn't cracked along the keyway. Also, check your crank to make sure that no material has traded places between the crank and the pulley.
CheerZ.
Q

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
Don't Forget...

To check the waterpump before you remove the cover--wiggle the shaft. If it's bad or going out, may as well do that while it's out sitting on the bench rather than scratching up the wings leaning over them doing it in car...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.