ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

front brakes bad

541 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Ron 
#1 ·
on my 78 2+2 i recentyl had a rear right brake line bust (factory original) so i replaced it.
now the front brakes wont work at all....i went and bled the entire sysem untill i was getting fresh ba=take fluid out of the lines and the front breks still wouldn't stop the car when the front end is lifted off the ground and with the brake pedall all the way on the florr the tires can be spun by hand. i have no clue as to what is going on and would love any ideas causei am out of them

should i replace the other 3 lines?
should i replace the whatever it is that sits on the firewall?
what shouldi do????the rear will lock up before the front even slows the car down!!

Discussion starter · #2 ·
I'm not familiar with '78s but my '83 has a neutral pressure valve that balances the pressure in the system between the front and rear brakes. It may be gunked up to where it isn't working. (mine was pretty well gunked up) On the '83s it is like a 4 way tee on the right frame rail where the brake lines from the master cylinder split and go to the front and rear of the car.

Just a thought....

Bob A.

> on my 78 2+2 i recentyl had a rear right
> brake line bust (factory original) so i
> replaced it.
> now the front brakes wont work at all....i
> went and bled the entire sysem untill i was
> getting fresh ba=take fluid out of the lines
> and the front breks still wouldn't stop the
> car when the front end is lifted off the
> ground and with the brake pedall all the way
> on the florr the tires can be spun by hand.
> i have no clue as to what is going on and
> would love any ideas causei am out of them

> should i replace the other 3 lines?
> should i replace the whatever it is that
> sits on the firewall?
> what shouldi do????the rear will lock up
> before the front even slows the car down!!

Discussion starter · #5 ·
To make a long story short, I found water in my brake fluid. Of course this caused a thick gunky emulsion in the NP valve. I removed it from the car and disassembled it and cleaned it thoroughly.

The only problem I had was that some small parts came out with the emulsion and I wasn't sure how (or where) they went back in.

After carefully studying the passageways, parts, springs etc. (some will only fit one way) I put it together how I thought it should go, reinstalled it and bled the system. I have not had any trouble with my brakes since, so I think I must have gotten it back together correctly.

So... my advice is if you take it apart, pay close attention to the little stuff.

Good Luck!

Bob A.

> Bob,
> I was told NOT to take this thing apart for
> any reason. My rear brakes have problems,
> the front lock in slight rain and well, the
> rears don't even start coming on by then.
> They work on dry stuff when the pedal is
> pressed down a ways. I looked for a new one,
> except at nissan, and was told they did not
> make them. I bought a second from the junk
> yard, took it apart, celaned it(very dirty),
> but did not want to put it in incase I
> screwed it up. It is just a litle spring and
> seal basically. Just curious what you did to
> yours. Mine is also an 83.
> Thanks,
> Joshua L.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
okay i have now noticed a new problem....it seems that while driving and hitting the brakes i get a whining sound that seems to fade in and out really quickyl and only my right rear tire seems to get adequate pressure to lock brakes up....what is the problem here???
AND IN ADDITION...... the pedal will go all the way to the floor before the car stops....even then it doesn't stop it very well....now what is wrong??

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.