ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of replacing both front rotors, calipers, brake lines and Nssan OEM pads AND the OEM shim kit on my 1984 AE. I have a couple of questions. First off do the front caliper slide pins wear out? I ask this because I can grab the caliper and shake it side to side (left & right) with a small amount of play in it. Is this small amount of side to side play on both calipers normal or should I look at replacing the caliper slide pins? Second, the nissan shim kit came with 3 shims for each side (1 black & 2 stainless steel) Do I need to use all 3 shims on each side? Also exactly where does the caliper grease need to be applied to. They (nissan) gave me such a small amount for both sides. Do I apply the grease to the retainer clips that the pads sit on or do I apply it elsewhere? Thanks Steve

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just did the same job on an 84 na. Three of the calipers I bought had new pins in the box. The right front didn't, and nobody seems to stock them. I had to take some off my 86 parts car. As for the shims, none came with the calipers I ordered, so I had to reuse the old ones.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The FSM contains a good diagram of what goes where.
Use 3 shims per caliper.
Where the grease goes depends on what sort of grease it is. Poly Butyl Cuprysil or silicone grease lubes the pad edges where they slide on the torque member.
Rubber grease (maybe red coloured) lubes the caliper slide pins.
The slide pins should be a fairly close fit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.