ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is looking to buy a Tec 2 system for their Z, Go to www.electromotive-inc.com. Click on the site map and then press releases and manuals. The user manual is there in PDF format (you'll need Adobe PDF Reader if you don't already have it). This manual can give you a good indication as to whether you do or don't want to go with the Tec 2. I wish they had this back when I bought mine. I would have done a lot more research before buying the Tec 2 (yes, I've spent lots of $$$ and time setting up my Z).

Even if you're not looking to go with an aftermarket fuel management system, this document is still full of some useful information.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You mentioned that you would have done a lot more research before buying the TEC-II, why? I have been looking into the Accel DFI, TEC-II, and a couple others. The accel is a little cheaper, but not much, I got a price for electromotive for 1325 for the kit plus software. It is taking forever to get that manual for it, it is not really downloading it, just trying to open it. Can you give me any advice from experience you have had with yours. What you think, etc. I have heard that they set themselves up pretty well automatically, but if not I am confident I can get it on my own. Eventually I want to turbo charge the car and would like to start with something good. Any opions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Joshua L.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
> If anyone is looking to buy a Tec 2 system
> for their Z, Go to
> www.electromotive-inc.com. Click on the site
> map and then press releases and manuals. The
> user manual is there in PDF format (you'll
> need Adobe PDF Reader if you don't already
> have it). This manual can give you a good
> indication as to whether you do or don't
> want to go with the Tec 2. I wish they had
> this back when I bought mine. I would have
> done a lot more research before buying the
> Tec 2 (yes, I've spent lots of $$$ and time
> setting up my Z).

> Even if you're not looking to go with an
> aftermarket fuel management system, this
> document is still full of some useful
> information.
I run a tech II in a79 daily driver and when I run at the track I post 12.4 1/4 mile times .The tech seems perfect to me .Maybe your doing something wrong

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
> I run a tech II in a79 daily driver and when
> I run at the track I post 12.4 1/4 mile
> times .The tech seems perfect to me .Maybe
> your doing something wrong

Yes, I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong. I've heard that the Tec II works great with Zs. For along time, I had problems with the magnetic pickup wheel and the gap. I finally figured it out after a while. When I got that going, I was able to start up the engine and it would run fine for a while, but would stall when the CLT read about 80. I couldn't figure this one out at all (at that time, my coolant warmup enrichments were all set to 0). I then had problems with my fuel pump and relay. Now, the engine won't even start up anymore. I havn't had time to work on it in the past 2 months either (really frustrating).

Did you have an easy time hooking up your Tec II and did it work correctly right away ??? I originally posted the PDF information for those who aren't too familiar with the Tec II. When I bought the system, I knew very little about what I was getting into. I was too easily sold on easy bolt on installation. I've learned a few things about pulse widths and ignition lately. I never thought that calibrating this thing would be such an event.

If anyone could offer me some help, I'd gladly appreciate it. I've posted my Tec II questions in the past and got some good info !!! Lately, I've been thinking that the distributor pick up wheel is not the way to go (that's what I have). I'm probably going to call Top-End performance to get a pick up wheel for my crank (I'm thinking it's more stable). Does anyone know the price? Is it REALLY a direct bolt on.

Thanx

·
Registered
382 Posts
> Yes, I'm pretty sure I'm doing something
> wrong. I've heard that the Tec II works
> great with Zs. For along time, I had
> problems with the magnetic pickup wheel and
> the gap. I finally figured it out after a
> while. When I got that going, I was able to
> start up the engine and it would run fine
> for a while, but would stall when the CLT
> read about 80. I couldn't figure this one
> out at all (at that time, my coolant warmup
> enrichments were all set to 0). I then had
> problems with my fuel pump and relay. Now,
> the engine won't even start up anymore. I
> havn't had time to work on it in the past 2
> months either (really frustrating).

> Did you have an easy time hooking up your
> Tec II and did it work correctly right away
> ???
Actually, after spending quite a while getting the engine and hardware all put together, the engine fired up on the first try, ran rich and died pretty much as you described. I had it 'limping around' on the street though, after an hour or so of fiddling with the IOT and TOG.

Your description sounds like the basic IOT and TOG settings might be too rich. It's _really_ easy to foul the plugs when you are first starting out. Basically, if the engine floods once, and you try to turn it over again unsuccessfully, the plugs are probably fouled. You can either buy new ones, or burn the carbon deposits off with a butane (NOT oxy-acetalene) torch. If you try this, you will need to get the plug tips glowing red hot for a minute or so, until all of the black deposits are gone.

I'd be glad to help if I can - which of the software/firmware packages are you using (PAFZ of SuperB)? If you want to send me a copy of your calibration, I'd be happy to look at it.

> If anyone could offer me some help, I'd
> gladly appreciate it. I've posted my Tec II
> questions in the past and got some good info
> !!! Lately, I've been thinking that the
> distributor pick up wheel is not the way to
> go (that's what I have). I'm probably going
> to call Top-End performance to get a pick up
> wheel for my crank (I'm thinking it's more
> stable). Does anyone know the price? Is it
> REALLY a direct bolt on.

The crank pickup is a better way to go, IMHO. The distributor pickup, while easier to install, still has all of the gear lash scatter associated with the distributor setup, which is what you were trying to get away from with direct ignition.
I don't know about the TEP pickup - I had a machinist friend make me a trigger wheel setup that works quite well, and I fabricated the pickup mount myself. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where the TEP setup locates the timing pickup?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
> You mentioned that you would have done a lot
> more research before buying the TEC-II, why?
> I have been looking into the Accel DFI,
> TEC-II, and a couple others. The accel is a
> little cheaper, but not much, I got a price
> for electromotive for 1325 for the kit plus
> software. It is taking forever to get that
> manual for it, it is not really downloading
> it, just trying to open it. Can you give me
> any advice from experience you have had with
> yours. What you think, etc. I have heard
> that they set themselves up pretty well
> automatically, but if not I am confident I
> can get it on my own. Eventually I want to
> turbo charge the car and would like to start
> with something good. Any opions would be
> greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Joshua L.

I got the manual off the Electromotive web page about a month ago. Reading and doing are two different things!! Well Joshua, I found the TEC-II unit, hardware and SuperB software for $1,500. No tax either, if outside of NC. Are there any cheaper places?

Later,
LuZifer
'83 turbo project

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.