ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im a true z lover and if u are then u know what i mean when i say there rust buckets. im fromm illinois and its hard to find a rust proff z car but i found and 83 turbo excellent condition solid car inside and out 70,000 miles original owner but the floor pans are rusting and so are the frame rails but the rest of the car is mint the owner has oil receipts every 1500 miles but we all no the straight 6 cant die anyway so if anyone has information on rails and pan let me know ok where can i get them and how hard is it to install them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
> Find a good welder who knows how to repair this stuff. He can do a much better job than some of the caps that fit over the frame rails and should be able to weld up the floor pan for you. Then keep it inside all year when not driving it. The passenger side is a bitch because of the fuel and brake lines. I had mine done at a body shop when they were slow. My car was from Alabama and was rusted under there bad. You have to keep the carpet dry. Find out where it leaks and stop it! If you want rail caps and floor pans that fit over the rust call Impact parts at 914-434-3338 they make rail kits that bolt and or weld on. Hate to see this rust but you should be able to keep the car running for a bunch more years. Keep it running, if I can in Wisconsin so can you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Flintstones car.

I have the same problem with my car. A friend and I are in the process of putting in a new floor on the driver's side. I have a rust hole that starts from behind the gas pedal, up the tranny tunnel a little, across to the dead pedal and back to about six inches forward of the seat mounts.

We fabricated a tray out of 16 ga. sheet steel with three sides turned up. It's fitted but not rivetted yet. The next step is to slap on the undercoating thick and rivet it down. The frame rail looks and feels ok so I'm going to rivet the rails to the new floor. Hope this helps. Have fun. Simon

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
75 280z 2+2 frame rails

> I have the same problem with my car. A
> friend and I are in the process of putting
> in a new floor on the driver's side. I have
> a rust hole that starts from behind the gas
> pedal, up the tranny tunnel a little, across
> to the dead pedal and back to about six
> inches forward of the seat mounts.

> We fabricated a tray out of 16 ga. sheet
> steel with three sides turned up. It's
> fitted but not rivetted yet. The next step
> is to slap on the undercoating thick and
> rivet it down. The frame rail looks and
> feels ok so I'm going to rivet the rails to
> the new floor. Hope this helps. Have fun.
> Simon

> .

I have a 75Z with similiar put alot worse problems. My frame rails barely even exist and the front left inner fender is so gone that the frame has lost integrety on that side and is bending. Anybody had any experience with this much rust. The frame repair shop wont even fix the slight frame damage on the front corner for fear of ripping the front end off the car. Please help I love my Z and can't find another 75 2+2 to replace it in anywhere. :( I will even get one if the interior and motor is shot I will swap with mine. Just the rest of the car has to be sound. I live in SC and Z's seem to be rare. Anybody have any advice. Thanks Sam 75 280z 2+2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
Re: 75 280z 2+2 frame rails

> I have a 75Z with similiar put alot worse
> problems. My frame rails barely even exist
> and the front left inner fender is so gone
> that the frame has lost integrety on that
> side and is bending. Anybody had any
> experience with this much rust. The frame
> repair shop wont even fix the slight frame
> damage on the front corner for fear of
> ripping the front end off the car. Please
> help I love my Z and can't find another 75
> 2+2 to replace it in anywhere. :( I will
> even get one if the interior and motor is
> shot I will swap with mine. Just the rest of
> the car has to be sound. I live in SC and
> Z's seem to be rare. Anybody have any
> advice. Thanks Sam 75 280z 2+2.

Sam,
Your car sounds even worse than mine, which spent its life driving around the salty roads of Pennsylvania. The driver's side floors in mine is completely gone from under the pedals to aft of the seat brackets. Amazingly, the pasenger side is fine. I'm in the process of ordering new floor panel from an outfit called Auto Rust Doctors in new Jersey. You can call them at (609) 693-1631. They were really helpful. They asked whether my car was a coupe or 2+2, which leads me to believe they probably have floors for yours, too. However, if the car is that far gone, you might consider just finding another. I bought a 82 ZX parts car for another project that was so rusted that one side of it crinkled when i was working on it! Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
> im a true z lover and if u are then u know
> what i mean when i say there rust buckets.
> im fromm illinois and its hard to find a
> rust proff z car but i found and 83 turbo
> excellent condition solid car inside and out
> 70,000 miles original owner but the floor
> pans are rusting and so are the frame rails
> but the rest of the car is mint the owner
> has oil receipts every 1500 miles but we all
> no the straight 6 cant die anyway so if
> anyone has information on rails and pan let
> me know ok where can i get them and how hard
> is it to install them
MOTORSPORT AUTO HAS FLOORS AND RAILS THAT REPLACE, NOT COVER UP OLD RUSTED ONES. THE FLOORS ARE EASIER TO REPLACE THAN THE RAILS. CALL MOTORSPORT AUTO IN CA 1-800-633-6331
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Auto Rust Tech in Cranston, Rhode Island has a price of $150.00 for both floor pans and the frame rail extensions. They also have the frame rails. I don't have teir on hand, but they have an ad in the December Hemmings under D cars, parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Try the following URL:

<A HREF=http://web.ctsolutions.com/zeddfind>http://web.ctsolutions.com/zeddfind</A>/

> im a true z lover and if u are then u know
> what i mean when i say there rust buckets.
> im fromm illinois and its hard to find a
> rust proff z car but i found and 83 turbo
> excellent condition solid car inside and out
> 70,000 miles original owner but the floor
> pans are rusting and so are the frame rails
> but the rest of the car is mint the owner
> has oil receipts every 1500 miles but we all
> no the straight 6 cant die anyway so if
> anyone has information on rails and pan let
> me know ok where can i get them and how hard
> is it to install them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Sure was glad to see some postings on this topic. I have an 83 ZX that has some crushed and rusted frame rails and was wondering how to fix them. Looks like somebody left them on jackstands too long and crushed/split the rails. Now they're showing signs of rust. The right side is rusted through and I can peel the bottom of the rail back. Thanks for the lead on rail caps...I'll give them a call and hopefully be able to cut out the rust and weld on the caps. Have a great 99.

Dan in Virginia
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top