ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Snipped from da link: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/20/new-york-2011-scion-fr-s-concept-is-friggin-really-sweet/#continued

Inspired by the AE86, the FR-S is built around the core goal of achieving "pure balance," which begins with the strategic placement of a flat 2.0-liter boxer engine in a front-engine, rear-wheel drive configuration. The engine's compact size and shape allows the FR-S' powertrain to be mounted lower and further back towards the rear, giving the car a lower center of gravity and a dynamically favorable front-to-rear weight ratio.

The FR-S' naturally-aspirated engine is innovative, being the first boxer to incorporate Toyota's D4-S injection system, which utilizes both direct and port injection, resulting in increased horsepower and torque throughout the entire powerband, without sacrificing MPG.

The flat-four can mate with either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. The manual offers quick and precise shifts with a short-throw, while the automatic transmission features aggressive, sporty shifts that are initiated by steering- wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Power is distributed effectively via a limited-slip differential.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Does it come in lime green?

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FT86club.com and Toyobaru.net forums have been around for quite a while as well!

Highly anticipated car by a lot of people. Maybe this'll inspire Nissan to make a new SX/Silvia, and NOT base it on a luxury sedan...

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts
Sexy!!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
yeah... sure... that looks NOTHING like a Z and g37 who had a ******* red-head child together

::rolls eyes:: Be less original IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
adroitcaptor said:
yeah... sure... that looks NOTHING like a Z and g37 who had a ******* red-head child together

::rolls eyes:: Be less original IMO.
???
Yer right, it looks NOTHING like the bloated/bulbous/high-nosed Z and G37, to me...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
G37s do NOT have a high nose; agreed on the Z.
I still think it looks so much more like a ******* z/g than an ae.
Looks more like a supra than an ae...

If they calmed some of the lines a bit, I think they might have one of the better looking cars built.

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe the G's nose is as high as the Z's, it's just not as obvious because the G is bigger overall. Basically they both have to clear the same lump of DOHC 3.7 liter V6.

The GREAT thing about THIS car: It's not built on a luxury platform, it will be relatively smaller and lighter-weight (~2800 lb., 500 lb. lighter than the Z). It will be more like a 2+2 S2000 or Miata.

FT-86 vs. 370Z

FT-86 II vs. Miata, Genesis, Mustang

This one looks a little exaggerated, but you get the point...

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mr. K on the FT-86

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Nissan-370Z/246307/

>>>
Autocar’s Japanese correspondent Peter Nunn recently spent some time with the creator of the original Nissan Z-car – the Datsun 240Z - Yutaka Katayama.

Nunn took Katayama out in the Nissan 370Z Roadster to see what the 100-year-old thought and Katayama was initially a fan of the car, but felt it was overly complicated.

“Two hundred years ago we were riding horses, but we’ve lost that feeling of uncomplicated freedom nowadays,” said Katayama. “A horse has no tachometer or whatever, but man can still control the speed and enjoy riding the horse. Keep it simple – that’s the way it should be.”

Katayama, who recently renewed his driving license for another three years, also bemoaned the price of the new model. Nunn describes what Katayama’s ideal modern Z-car would be.

“To Mr K, the Z-car should be simpler – styled like a thoroughbred, but with a price accessible to young people,” says Nunn. “It should offer the same kind of character and involvement that you can get from a Mazda MX-5, or even a Caterham.”

What interests Katayama in the motoring world nowadays? He likes the idea of an electric hybrid Z, but is concerned about the weight of the batteries. What about the Tesla? “No interest!” said Katayama. Without any sound, maybe they will have to use a bell.”

Katayama has been impressed with the Toyota FT-86 concept, which he saw at the Tokyo motor show. A Subaru-engined, rear-drive coupe “is something like a new Zed should be”, he said.
<<<

Exactly!
Hopefully this car will inspire Nissan to give us a new SX/Silvia and a new Z based on that smaller/lighter platform instead of a luxury sedan.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Dan - I was just whining about this the other day. Everyone mocks me because I have a habit of stripping out my vehicles. I love simplicity, a sense of control, and feeling of connection to the car. I wan that back, like I had with my 78.

As far as the price, a new nismo runs 50k... the lower models start at 31k. Thanks for the esoteric price range Nissan.
Why can't we have a Sylvia with the VQ30 in it? That should lower the price for not having to engineer a new engine. To add, 225hp is enough for a light weight coupe that is built right IMHO. If not that, how about a REAL Z; not a ZX labeled Z?
Give us something Nissan. if you can't produce a real sports car like you used to, give us a real cheap base model. Fun cars do not need nav, 22way power seats, back-up cameras, etc.

BTW, I have had navigation on 2 cars and cannot remember using it once...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.