·
Registered
685 Posts
another 4 piston ?

> I was wondering if one could put the four
> piston toyota calipers on a 79 zx.

> Thank you.
While we are on the subject I was wondering
how good of an upgrade is this anyways?I've read many things concerning the installation of these
calipers,But notheng on the real world results
of doing this.Less fade?Better heat dissapation?
Quicker 60-0?Being A mechanic the job is easy
but are the results worth my 2 hours labor?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: another 4 piston ?

I did the 4 piston conversion at the same time I did stainless steel lines, cross drilled my own rotors and converted the rear drums to discs (cross drilled also)... In my opinion, you cannot do a more noticeable upgrade to a zcar than to its brakes. I dished out just at $600.00 total to do all 4 corners and man what a difference. I am no mechanic, but it took me maybe an hour per wheel... only complaint is the pulsating noise the cross drilled rotors make under heavy braking. But you get used to it. I tap my brake pedal and the car STOPS. I used a proportioning valve to get the rear biasing right, now it is difficult to lock the brakes up, but the car stops like its a porsche 911.

You need more info, let me know -- I still have a list of parts and suppliers.

D.R.

> While we are on the subject I was wondering
> how good of an upgrade is this anyways?I've
> read many things concerning the installation
> of these
> calipers,But notheng on the real world
> results
> of doing this.Less fade?Better heat
> dissapation?
> Quicker 60-0?Being A mechanic the job is
> easy
> but are the results worth my 2 hours labor?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I did the 4 piston conversion at the same time I did stainless steel lines, cross drilled my own rotors and converted the rear drums to discs (cross drilled also)... In my opinion, you cannot do a more noticeable upgrade to a zcar than to its brakes. I dished out just at $600.00 total to do all 4 corners and man what a difference. I am no mechanic, but it took me maybe an hour per wheel... only complaint is the pulsating noise the cross drilled rotors make under heavy braking. But you get used to it. I tap my brake pedal and the car STOPS. I used a proportioning valve to get the rear biasing right, now it is difficult to lock the brakes up, but the car stops like its a porsche 911.

You need more info, let me know -- I still have a list of parts and suppliers.

D.R.

> While we are on the subject I was wondering
> how good of an upgrade is this anyways?I've
> read many things concerning the installation
> of these
> calipers,But notheng on the real world
> results
> of doing this.Less fade?Better heat
> dissapation?
> Quicker 60-0?Being A mechanic the job is
> easy
> but are the results worth my 2 hours labor?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> I was wondering if one could put the four
> piston toyota calipers on a 79 zx.

> Thank you.

I have 4-piston frts w/maxima vented rotors up front and zx disks in the back of one of my 71 Z's. When I did this, I also added SS-Teflon brake lines and used the ZX master cylinder and ZX proportioning valve. I'm not sure if I'd do the 4 piston calipers w/o the vented rotors, though this make it a more involved conversion.

I have not put on the Portorfield Racing pads yet and that is the next step.

I have not done any quantitative tests yet, but as an engineer by training and trade, I can say that I will experience less brake fade the next time I have fun at an open track day. This is because of both the added mass and venting of the front rotors. I do not know if the rear brake conversion is good or bad. I have yet to make any 'gues-timates' regarding swept area/mass etc....bad engineer! bad engineer (heck I did it just 'cause 4 wheel disk 240 seemed cool!)

I stop straight. Pedal pressure seems higher than on a stock brake car. Balance is good. On the damp or dry & in a straight line the car locks one or the other front right at stopping. Leading into a corner under hard braking and downshifting will bring a squawk (sp) from the inside rear tire.

All in all, I'm pleased with the conversion, but I am also working on a disk conversion for up front that will use a larger diameter rotor for increase swept area and maybe a different rear combination for the rear to compliment the fronts. (Trying to do it for less $$$$ than some of the kits currently avail e.g. Arizona Z-Cars.)

I will post here if and when I get a new configuration figured out.

tomh

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Check with Nissan and see if the part number for the front brake rotor and calipers for the 79 is the same as the 75-78. If so, no problem.
I did the Toyota 4x4 conversion on my '77. The only thing other than the calipers was some new standard vented (not cross-drilled) rotors. First thing that I noticed was that, for the first time since I've owned the car, I was able to lock the brakes up and come to a sliding stop. It was great! They are very tame to use but can knock the speed off a lot faster than the originals. I would never go back.
Phantom.

·
Registered
183 Posts

but the car stops like its a
> porsche 911.

**Now if we can only get it to launch like a 911.
Forget the toy honda cars in honda (turbo) magazine, I plan to take on the turbo porsches
that occasionally appear in that mag.

> You need more info, let me know -- I still
> have a list of parts and suppliers.

**I would be interested in this list.

Thanks in advance.
Owen

·
Registered
382 Posts
Phantom - Vented rotors?

> I did the Toyota 4x4 conversion on my '77.
> The only thing other than the calipers was
> some new standard vented (not cross-drilled)
> rotors.

Where did you get the vented rotors from? Do 77's have stock vented rotors? Are they the same diameter as a 240Z?
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.