ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok My friend that owns a salvage yard that only sells Z parts found me a really WEIRD HEAD. It is a standard N-42 but it does not have the little nicks for the FI. U can see the nicks I am talking about on 240ZTurbos site on the Head he is trying to sell. It does not look like it has been welded it just looks like it never had FI on it. Is this head vaulable?? What year did this head come on he said it came off a 260 but hose only had e-88?? What kind of head is this and should I buy it??

Dustin

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: FOUND a really oddball N-42 240ZTurbo pleas

The N-42 has bolt holes to mount both the carb setup and the fuel injection setup. This is the only head that I know of that has this option on it. I know that they made the 260Z in Europe until 78. It is possible that this head came from one of these 260Z's with the carbs. This would explain the lack of the fuel injector notches in the intake port. As far as being rare, I have no idea.

·
Registered
94 Posts
RE: FOUND a really oddball N-42 240ZTurbo pleas

True they did produce a 260Z in Europe and the rest of the world (280Z is U.S. ONLY) until 1978. Now a 260Z in premo condition in the UK sells for 2500-3000 pounds or about $3750-$4500 (there are alot of non-U.S. 260Z out there ). This does not mean that the head is not worth something here in the U.S.. Look at the chambers and see if they are the same size as a U.S. N-42, Look at the valve sizes and see if they are larger. The chambers could in a UK N-42 maybe smaller for a higher comp. value or they may be the same.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>OK, Here's the answer!</b>

Looks like you found one off the very first of the 280z heads. The VERY first 280z cars in the NA type could not pass the emissions test for the 75 model year so Nissan had to use some of the last of the 260Z carb setups in order to get the cars on the road. In one my local yards here in PA, there are three of these cars(made 12/74 and 1/75) with these non injected heads. So are these rare? Yes! are they particularly valuable though? I guess that depends on what you are looking for. All of these cars carry the wiring harness and relays for the 280z but none of the FI stuff. If anybody wants one of these heads I will be glad to go get one for you for my cost of $25 plus labor and shipping.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
WAITAMINUTE !

I wasn't aware the bolt holes for FI or carbs were different. I have an E-88 w/SUs'. Planning a swap fer sure and using my carbs and manifold. Did we just limit my choices on heads?

·
Registered
821 Posts
RE: OK, Here's the answer!

I don't know but I have a 78 fuelie and would like to up the compression. I heard a 240 head would bump it up to 10.0:1 witch would be perfect. any help would be great.
thanks josh

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: WAITAMINUTE !

I dont kow about other heads, but as far I know the FI head just has a couple more holes. I bolted my SU's straight on a P79, no problem.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
U Can't Use carbed heads for FI!

You can't use any of the carbed heads for fuel injection. The bolt paterns are are the same, but they don' have the holes for the fuel injectors into the head. This is a physical difference in the head where the top of each intake port on the head has a fuel injector sized notch/hole.
Later,
Tim Deesen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.