ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I called this place today and talked to the guy about putting a chevy turbo 350/400 tranny into my car. So im sending him the front part of my tranny so he will have the bellhousing pattern and also sending them my flywheel. He said from what I told him it shouldnt be that big of deal to make the adapter and flexplate for a vg30. I think im the first one to do this on a z31. My car probably will not break halfshafts any more and I already have a chevy turbo 400 and a 3000 stall converter so my car should build about 10psi on the launch. The price he wasnt real sure but probably 500-600 dollars if everything goes pretty smooth. That is expensive but it will save me some money in the long run I think. So if anybody else was thinking about doing this WILCAP company will have the vg30 bellhousing pattern on file pretty soon.:) Oh yeh I also will have my ACT clutch for sale for about $140 capable of handling 500 hp and I only have 6 track runs on it and about 2500 miles on it. Kinda stiff but holds the power good..

Post Edited (Nov 15, 5:46pm)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Maybe I missed something else you upgraded, but that transmission isn't going to make a difference in whether or not you break halfshafts. Again maybe I missed a previous upgrade, but I wouldn't get my hopes up about that.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An automatic tranny will take alot of load off of your rearend + halfshafts cause when your stalled up on the converter and the backlash in the differential and halfshafts is already taken out.. instead of reving 6000rpms and putting a real shock on the drivetrain. Ive been looking around and some turbo cars that when from a stick to an auto shaved off 1/2 second on the et. Should be able to build 10 psi and get a better launch and instead of shifting and having boost fall it will stay stuck @ 20psi the whole 1/4 mile. With a turbo car you cant beat an automatic with a shift kit and high stall converter. The main reason im converting is cause im going for mid 11's and its really hard on the tranny and halfshafts at that speed.

Post Edited (Nov 15, 7:27pm)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
russell at z1motorsports did this with his tt widebody vert

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did he have a before and after 1/4mile time? I was thinking of going with a TT automatic tranny but wasnt sure how strong they were but if that guy went with a chevy tranny they may not be as strong as I thought. Also a custom stall converter for a TT tranny would probably be in the $600-800 range. My car ran a 12.87 with 1.92 60ft @109.4 im hope I can knock my 60ft to about a 1.70 and im sure ill lose some horsepower since a turbo 400 is such a big tranny. My gutted upper intake should make up for that just got to weld it up havent had time.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
oh i forgot to add that this z is the most powerful z on the road puttin over 1000 horsies on the ground, backed up with the looks to go with it

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a clean Z32 looks nice with them fat tires and hes on the spray probably runs low 9's. Hybrid ill post up and see what kinda problems I run into the only thing that im worried about right now is the crossover pipe being in the way of the 400 bellhousing pending on how thick the adapter is. If they can make it about 1/2inch I think it will work. I like racing a stick car but it will be nice to drive the track and just stall it up and let the turbo do the work instead of having a sore leg and arm from slamming gears trying to catch my brothers mustang in the topend after he rapes me off the line lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.