ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just junkyard hopping today, and I ran across an 81ZXT. Hearing of how well the P-90 head flows, I very strongly considering buying it (it should be cheap since am in Utah, where people are afraid of these "advanced" Japanese autos, and drive their huge trucks).

First off, he would not allow me to buy just the head, he tells me they only sell the complete engine (146K on it), from the Air Flow Meter all the way to the Turbo. I figured this is a lot more than I need, but I might get it all anyway. Well, for all this, he offered $350, which I thought seemed a little high. First, what should I offer this shmuck for his engine?

Another thing that bothers me is that the body on this car has no major damage as I recall (I might have been paying too much attention to that nive motor), so I wonder why it's even in the junkyard...??? I think I'll ask if anything's wrong with the engine first.

Lastly, the Turbo wheels on it are in VERY good condition, so if anyone is in desperate need of Turbo wheels, let me know, I think he wanted $45 a piece, but I'm sure we can talk him down...I'm in northern Utah but soon to be back home in Seattle.

Thanks in advance.
- Evan, 83ZX N/A

·
Registered
399 Posts
In my area (Central Florida) we have "U-Pull" junk yards where you go out and find and pull your own parts. I can get P90s for $60 bucks. For a standard junk yard, $350 is not unusual for a whole engine.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: Found a P-90 head...</b>

Evan,

I'm in SLC.

What yard did you go to?

Are you talking the snowflake wheels?

I have these on my 78, but am in need of on of the hub caps. BTW, these wheels are pretty rare and $45 each is a pretty good deal.

Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Turbo Wheels...

It is the Logan junkyard (their only one). Yes, I think the wheels were the snowflake ones. I don't remember the condition on the actually hubs, but I believe they were in fairly good condition, but I remember the actual wheels to be in quite good condition. Perhaps you can work a deal for just the hubs or maybe you want the entire wheel too. I'm going back up there Monday, I'll give them a close look and let you know how they look.

- Evan 83ZX

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought a complete '82 280ZXT motor at my local pick a part for $195 including turbo, A.F.M. etc. It wouldn't
hurt to have all those extra parts at your disposal.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think 350's about right.

I got my 81 turbo engine for $175 in phoenix, but then I pulled it myself (and I mean myself) this was basically the whole thing (someone already snagged the AFM and throttle body but I have the rest. Granted this was out of a t-bone'd car and the crank turns freely when you put a wrench on the crank pulley. I don't think $350's too unreasonable for them to pull it. I think the main reason that they don't want to sell just the head is the labor involved in pulling one (and keeping all the ancillary components sellable)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.