ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just came across a 72 240z. It was in the garage of the original owner in pieces. This guy is about 70 and bought the car new. In the mid 80's he said it was having some engine trouble so he decided to overhaul it. He took the engine out then decided not to stop there. He took everything off. I mean everthing. Fenders, all suspension, differntial, and most of the interior. It sat up on block like that since then in his garage. The body look fantastic. Not the slightest bit of rust anywhere. The paint even looked good. The dash was intact and look very good with no cracks and even the original stereo. He had every part he took off hanging around either on the wall or in the rafters. WELL my question is, is it worth it? I would love to rebuild it and since it was all taken apart it would be ez to slap in a upgraded suspension and paint the thing inside and out. then worry about putting in a 2.8 and all that. But how would i get it home since it is all up on blocks? I cant seem to figure out how? The wheels are gone and all the a-arms and mounts are off. I would have to carry it on a flat bed i guess? He only wants a couple hundred for it so the parts alone would be worth my time but i must take everything. Any hints on what to do? Let me know.
Thanks,
SunTadZ

· Registered
567 Posts
take all the parts home in order. suspension, then body, then engine. label everything, and then get the car forklifted onto a trailer or flatbed. make sure you dont damage the frame rails in the process. you could put the a-arms on, and just mount some wheels, so oyu can push it. all you need is hubs, no axels. ask him to let you do that in his garage. it would save you lots of money if it rolls.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know how to put the wheels on but i think i could learn. I dont know if he is willing to let me do it if its to invloved. What would it take?>
]

· Registered
74 Posts
if you want a good project car and the body is in good shape as you say it is then it sounds like you have found the perfect candidate. If its what you want to tackle then go for it. Half the work has been done you. now you can upgrade and improve components (like you mentioned suspension and other areas as well).

if its on blocks and completely stripped the shell shouldn't weigh that much.
make some dollies out of wood. a sturdy frame with some good 2X4 wood but make it tall enough so that the body clears the ground if you pull it on a car carrier. Use casters on the dollies (one per corner) so you can manuever that body any which way. I'd make 2 dollies to be positioned in the front and back of the car (build them about as long as the width of the car (5' lg x 12" wide x 12" high). Best bet is to take some measures and be sure you'll support the shell floor properly and have good clearance. Use contact points that are reinforced structural points. Again if the car is entirely a bare shell you should be able to lift it with the help of a few friends. Once you build the dollies lift the shell and position them under the unibody frame. BE SAFE AND SMART IF YOU DO THIS. It would be wise to use a good jack and stands or the blocks may have it up high enough already. For the front use the frame rails as your resting points for the front dollie (here you shouldn't need to make the front dollie frame as wide. Build the frame to extend 6 inched over the frame rails on each side. (again make some good measurements and consider safety). Once you get the shell on the front and rear dollies secure each to one another and then load the car on a car carrier or suitable trailer. Secure the entire shell and dollies on the trailer and get it home to your garage and build yourself a nice 240Z.
by the way where did you find this car?
good luck with your project.

· Registered
2,280 Posts
You could rent a body shop dolly that clamps under the whole car, then just call a flatbed tow truck, he can winch the whole thing onto his truck and deliver it to your garage

· Registered
3,488 Posts
The other comments above are right on the money. I'd still like to see these issues addressed before you commit to anything.

1. How much, if any, rust is on the car? If the floorpans, frame rails, rocker panels, etc., are rusty, you might be in for more work. Even if you got the car for free, replacing sheet metal can be costly unless you can do it yourself.

2. I think you'd be doing the guy a favor if you took it off his hands "for free." Heck, in that condition, he ought to pay you to haul it off. Tell him it's gonna cost you a couple of hundred just to get it moved from his place to yours.

A lot of people have had intentions similar to you, but for one reason or another never finish the project. Heck, the dude himself gave up on it. Are you sure you want to get into this?

If you can take a long hard look at yourself and say, "Yes," then maybe this is the car for you. Hope you have plenty of storage space under roof -- you'll need it.

And if you decide to do this, definitely -- DEFINITELY!!! -- make yourself a Rotesseri so you can do some real justice to the body. You won't be sorry!

· Registered
51 Posts
Hey suntadz

If its completly stripped why don't you just show up with a flat bed trailer or wrecker and five friends and carry the shell onto the deck (it's not really heavy)

The only item you might have trouble moving by hand is the engine?, and you can rent a portable breakdown stand to load that

Thats if you find the car suitable and you make sure all the parts really are there.

Good luck

· Registered
685 Posts
Where are you ? First of all if the car is rust free you have a find, that is if you are up to building a car from the ground up. Realize that it is a LOT of work and will take many hours and you MUST have a covered space to work on it and if married a vary understanding wife. If all these things are a go , DO IT. You can move the car on three floor jacks and four or so buddys. and put it on a flat bed trailer . If you live in Washington or Oregon and even in Idaho or northern Calif. and you dont want to buy the car ,, I have access to a flatbed trailer and will buy it. I am serious as a hartattack .. Gary Portland Ore.

· Registered
1,298 Posts
HECK DON'T MODIFY IT!

If all that was wrong with the car is some engine problem, get the engine fixed and restore the car. You've got a concours baby sitting right there waiting to take you to the winners circle.

Remember, if he has ALL the parts for it, then you just need to reassemble and RESTORE to AS NEW status. That would allow you to very VERY cheaply get a CONCOURS CLASS VEHICLE. Heck, you could probably sell it after re-assembly for several thousand dollars, and then buy one that you can mod the heck out of.

If you have such a find, and still want to MOD it. I'll link up with Gary and chip in to get you a car that is perfect for that, but let us have access to this one. This is like King Tut's tomb, don't despoil it by turning it into a Modified one. There's TONS of vehicles out there that need a new engine, that are BEGGING to be modified to your heart's content, but very VERY few that are pristine in their possibilities to be restored.

Heck, I'd pay you a FINDER'S fee just for letting us buy it from the guy, how's that for a deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.