ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im new to the site and I need some help ASAP.

I found this 50th anniversary 300ZX (I made sure it was an authentic 50th ann.) for sale a few days ago and now I can't stop thinking it could be mine. Only thing stoping me is it has some mechanical and major cosmetic problems. The body is fine, no signs of recks or anithing except for some rust around the rear left fender and onfortunately inside the hatch. One wheel also has some rust. No radio and the digital instrument panel does not work at all either. The engine is bad, it barely idles, and there is an exhaust leak. The guy is asking for $2000.

Here's my question: Is that too high of a price based on what I described? Even if I get it at that price I'll still have a couple grands to fix it. All the money I have is for that same purpose; I want to find a car and fix it myself.

Sorry for the long post, guys... I'm kind of desperate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some more info

By the way, I forgot to mention the only good thing about it: it has a new tranny from another Z (the guy said "another of these" but I forgot to ask him if it was another 50th anniv. Does it matter?) and also a new clutch.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
they are right. keep lookin man. check out ebay and the Z31.com classifieds. you will find a 50th anniversary in much better condition then that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
well if you do decide to buy it i have the radio and a dash that i can sell you for cheep

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have no opinion other than this.

If you found extior rust, forget it. If rust shows up in one place, it will inevitably show up elsewhere.

Let me share an opinion with you.

Always search where the car has been driven. Why, if it comes from a northern climate where they salt roads in the winter, you will always find rust either there or about to show up.

If I wanted a vehicle to maintain or restore, I would always look to cars that have spent their time in climates free of salting.

When I grew up, I was always told that you did not want to be a car from a coastal area because of the salt.

Well, as I have learned over the past years, If you have a car from a State that uses Salt to melt ice in the winter, You will always be confronted with rust problems. Find a car from (as was pointed out) the internet, or someother source with friendly winters. Souther Calif., NWWashinton, Nevada, Arizona, or some Southeastern State which I am not familiar with, as I live in the West.

Bottom line: Check the cars previous habitat, and remember, these are not cheap cars to maintain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, thanks for the advice/comments. I guess I should have mentioned I live in Georgia too. Oh well, I guess I'll keep looking and try to fight the temptation of buying that rusted piece of automobile awesomeness. I grew up seeing this cars go up and don the road where I used to live and hearing the turbo spool and discharge. There was a guy that also loved this cars and I think he would fix 'em up or something but the'd fly! Anyways, I'll keep looking.

Thanks,
Victor

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.