ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a 1984 50th anniversary Z and a 85 model 2+2 Z, both are in pretty good shape body/interior wise,they are still 100% stock....even down to the floormats, but the owner says the engines are blown and that is all she knows. She didn't elaborate at all.........she also said the 84 has a few sensor problems. I do not know anything about the engines, there is no oil leaks under them. She is asking $1500 for both of them. ANY info that you could give me on either car would be GREATLY appreciated................

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I'm guessing that the timing belt snapped on one or possibly both. Is all the wiring there? Possibly an injector fire if you see anything burnt. Can't do much more help without pictures.

·
Registered
880 Posts
1500 for both cars? or 1500 a piece? if it were me, and i had 1500 bucks to spend.. i would buy them and fix up the 84 anniversary car.. i would love to have an a/e to park beside my shiro.. also look at the blown engine as an opportunity to mod the crap out of a new one.. if you can afford the cars, and know they dont run, you wont be worried about getting them running to drive.. spend the next year restoring the ae and building a performance oriented engine.. when you get all done~ imagine the smile on your face. of course i dont know if you have a shop, or know anything about what it takes.. more or less im just saying what i would like to do... good luck either way

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of questions? What are the problem areas I need to look for? And yes, it is $1500 for both cars.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Do you have the space for them?
Do you have the ability to work on cars?
Do you have the tools to work on cars?
Are you capable of troubleshooting problems?

·
Registered
805 Posts
BarryBum - If you are looking for a project car I can't think of a better project car than a 300zx AE. I just got done restoring and selling one.
I just bought a 350Z to replace it since I enjoyed it so much.
Have to say I am going to miss those t-tops.

There is a lot to these cars. I suggest you know of a few donor cars before you start however. As time has gone on I can not find too many of these to get parts off of. My main reason for deciding to sell the car is I started to get afraid of part availability and sale was condition on getting the new Z. I can live with that. ;)

AZ ZBUM is a good source. I would be glad to help as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I do have the space, time, money and ability to restore this car. I am into Mopars. I currently own a Plymouth Cuda 340/4 speed and I have restored several Mopars in the past. I am very familiar with the carb/V-8 setup of the older cars. I am not very familiar with all the electronic stuff on these newer cars and I don't want to buy a pig in a poke with a multitude of electronic problems. I can send someone a picture of these cars in question to get their opinion if they are worth it. I have looked on the classifieds here and saw where I can buy a nice running AE for around $7000, or any other nice Z considerably cheaper. I am not just wanting something to work on, I have something to keep me busy. I am wanting to see if this car would be worth buying and fixing or would I lose my tail and go in the hole money wise. If I bought these cars for $1500, spent $1000 re doing interior, $2000 paint, $700 new tires, $800 getting them running, and say another $1500 for misc stuff, I am going to have over $7000 invested in this car. Are they worth that? Or I could buy one that is already running and driving for about the same price.
Are restoration parts available?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
no way i'd give $1500 for even 3 cars that dont run, if they cant be driven there is no way to know whats wrong with them. keep looking for a good running AE if thats what you want. you'll end up spending a lot less and you will be enjoying driveing the car instead of working on a never ending project.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Any non-running car is a risk. Is she the owner of the cars or is she selling the cars for someone else? It appears that she won't elaborate because she either doesn't know or doesn't want to tell you why the engines are blown. It takes time and work to trouble shoot car problems. Try to pry more information out of her.

Post Edited (Apr 21, 7:58am)

·
Registered
657 Posts
chezam has a **** of a point............ you could get a good running 300zx in decent condition for $1500........ but then again if that AE has no cosmetic damage and the only thing wrong is the motor then for both cars its worth it. You might be able to have a whole car between the two....... Id really dig into this and find out what is wrong with them....

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
chezam is an idiot. He's been banned a few times from z31.com for being stupid and posting stupid crap.

Barry: If you have the space, time, and abilities, I say go for it. The most difficult part of the project is going to be sourcing your parts cheap. But it can be done. I've probably got about than $5k worth of stuff into my AE (including the car), wheels, etc. I had it almost sold at $6k at one point but decided to keep it.

If you consider your time free, then yes. You can make a little money. But you may not make that much. Especially being new to the Z community.

A few before and afters of my car:
http://www.az-zbum.com/ae.comparison.shtml

Post Edited (Apr 21, 8:51am)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
an idiot? z-31? rub saqs peter? are you gay mr. bum? you got 5k into a car thats worth 3.5k? you got a nerve calling anybody an idiot.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I had the car sold at 6k. I backed out because I wasn't ready to part with it.

You have a penis that has no use, so why not chop it off and save yourself the trouble. You haven't even had the opportunity to be able to back out. Stuff it back into the sock that's under your mattress and keep hopping for a nipple shot on a fuzzy screen.

·
Registered
548 Posts
See if you can take the top timing cover off to check the belt. Right now the z31's are fairly cheap to buy. I have an 84 na and 86 turbo. My opinion...don't go too crazy, because with few exceptions, right now you'll never get your money (and time) out if it. That may change in a few more years. If I had known back in the early 80's that 240Z's would be so overpriced now I would have kept the 3 that I had. Consider it a hobby and enjoy driving them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.