ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I killed my cat today. I'm going to the exhaust shop tomarrow to get a pipe welded in its place. How different does the car sound after the cat is taken our or punched out? Just wondering because my car sounded like crap before (partly cause of the leaky pipe and cloged and leaky cat). then again it might have something to do with my 2 year old elcheapo $15 advance auto muffler. My dads friend described it as a bee like sound. I dont like that bee like sound! I really hope killing the cat killed the bee.

Another thing whats a good cheap(cheaper is better) muffler that sounds cool? a round straight through design is what I would want. I wanna retain as much as possible of the sound it has now. my current system is stock 2 inch pipe that stops at the end of the tranny. Shakes the whole car and is so loud you cant here your self think. I like it:)

Justin T

·
Registered
411 Posts
You could replace the cat with a glasspack which will help smooth the sound and add nice depth to it. I run one on my turbo thru 2.5" pipe and it sound nice, of course that's after my cat though. Plus they're fairly inexpensive.
-zakaron

·
Registered
613 Posts
I got the stock 1 3/4 exhaust but some thoughtful person in the past removed the cat and put a straight pipe there. At idle it sounds kind of weak, not enough bass, but man when its over 3000 rpm it has this jet engine sound that is kick ass. I want to put a 2.5 inch but am not sure how much one from the exhaust shop will cost.

Emir

·
Registered
36 Posts
The glasspack sounds ok and is cheep but you get what you pay for. It'll be shot in about a year then youll have rats. And then what, another one? By that time you would have spent enough to put on a Magnaflow witha 2 1/2'' pipe. Pay now or pay later is what I say. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
What Ben said! I tried the glass pack route although I've had a header and ran 2.5" pipe to a glasspack pretty much under/beside the driver seat and out through a supertrapp. I hated it, it sounded good but absolutely killed performance. I removed the glass pack, went header 2.5" pipe to super trap and it was alot stronger running and had a sharper growl to it. Now I run same header and 2.5" pipe through a flowmaster 2 chamber ($50) and it sounds like a V8 at idle and roars in the upper rpms and I picked up 3 mph in the 1/4 mile with no other changes. I also like the Magnaflow like Ben said and it is probably a better quality muffler.

Without the cat it will be a little louder and have some more rasp to it. Move to larger pipe if you want the tone to be deeper but don't go over 2.5" unless your turbocharged or just don't want any low end power.

Matt

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the pipe on...

It is raspier but it still sounds pretty much the same except it doesnt have the leakey sound. I guess my muffler is make the crap sound, so its next. The ride up there ws fun though I bet I scared alot of people when I got on it in 1st heheh.

Do they make two inch flowmasters, magnaflows or dynomax strait mufflers?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.