ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, I didn't mean that anyone HERE had dissed the ZX; just that the historical image of the ZX in books, magazines, etc. etc. is very unfavorable. Please don't get defensive. :)

Just for the record, for me, the plusses of the ZX over the Z are: FI (I'm really spoiled by it; I hate working on carbs, and supposedly there were reliability problems with 78-78Z FI), gearing (easy to find ZXs with 3.93 rear end), shifter feel (my 5sp is ssooooo slick), SOME degree of comfort without being too soft (from what I do remember about the Z I drove, it knocked the **** out of me), T-tops (love 'em), availability of a stock turbo model (fast fast FAST!), somewhat lighter than the late-model 280Zs (as someone else already mentioned), nice stock rims (esp. the turbos), rack-and-pinion steering feel, and other little misc. things.

The Zs certainly have more classic lines (arguably cleaner and better-looking, though I like the '82-'83ZX a lot too), 240Zs can probably be made faster than a NA ZX easier, arguably better handling, 240Zs are lighter, etc. etc.

Not meant as a flame; I love all Z cars (well, except maybe the first-generation 300 and any 2+2 :), just my opinions. I'll gawk at a nice 240 or 280Z just as much (maybe even more) as a nice 280ZX.

Jon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Not to feed the fire or anything, but I happen to also own an 87 300ZX, and well quite frankly it beats the piss out of my 280ZX in every category. I think you dislike the 300ZX for the same reason the Z guys dislike the ZX. Its called jealousy.
Just my opinion of course.

Everything else you said I agree with. The ZX is a blast to drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
one other question...

Who built your engine? I'm also in Ontario and plan on doing my engine soon and I'm looking for someone with experience of buildinf Z engines.
Thanks
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry dude, but you're way out of line...

Having owned 3 1st-gen 300ZXs ('84, '88T, and an '85) I just plain don't like them; it's not about jealousy, they're not my cup of tea. Both NAs were also slower than my current 280, though they handled better stock and were less rust-prone. BUT, I had FAR more mechanical problems with all of them than I've ever had with a 280, they all had awful interiors, and reliability statistics on the 300s seem to validate my experience. Now the last generation 300ZX, that's a different story (a bud has a '94 5sp TT and I love it. ;)

Just MY opinion, of course - I think the 1st gen 300s are by far the worst of all Zs (but that still makes them better than most sports cars). You don't have to go getting all uppity about jealousy; I also own a '98 Boxster, so sorry I can't quite manage to feel jealous of your '87 300. My Boxster beats my Z in just about every objective category too, but guess what, I still love my Z and I'd never give it up (well, probably for a nice 240 ;) It's just different.

Jon

> Not to feed the fire or anything, but I
> happen to also own an 87 300ZX, and well
> quite frankly it beats the piss out of my
> 280ZX in every category. I think you dislike
> the 300ZX for the same reason the Z guys
> dislike the ZX. Its called jealousy.
> Just my opinion of course.

> Everything else you said I agree with. The
> ZX is a blast to drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Ooops, that question is for ZR8ED. Sorry.

> Who built your engine? I'm also in Ontario
> and plan on doing my engine soon and I'm
> looking for someone with experience of
> buildinf Z engines.
> Thanks
> Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Who is this Goofball?

I can't believe what I read, I'd give up 5- 87 LUXOCOUPES for one nice 240. The 240 was a true sports car that had a two year waiting list to buy. the 87 was Ok, but certainly it wont go down in History as a classic car, unlike it's older cousins. The popularity of the later Z's fell off so bad Nissan quit making them. Dude, you need to get a grip on reality, and give the real Z cars their props.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
The only thing I gawk at more than a clean, shiny Z-car is the latest swimsuit issue from Sports Illustrated. I do agree with you on one point,tho, Jon, and that is that there is MUCH more available in terms of aftermarket for the 1st generation Zs. A good example is body panels. You can practically build a new car out of all the floors, doors, hoods, quarter panels and so on for a 240-280, but good luck finding those items for a ZX anywhere but the junkyard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
Having just reread all the responses to this post, I gotta add 2 more cents worth.

For all you out there who worship at the great altar of horsepower, forget the early Z-cars. I'm sure that a stock Toyota Tercel could probably beat one either through the twisties or off the line. And that gardener in the 20-year-old pickup with the 454? He could probably beat most early Zs off the line WITH all the lawnmowers in the back. ****, I've seen fuelie VWs at the drags that would blow away any stock automobile ever made. So what? I can't in my wildest imagination see how that proves one car is 'better' than another. Some are just faster. Live with it. Or, as has been observed on this forum in the past, if that's all that matters, forget blowing all kinds of $$$$ on hopping up the straight six -- just dump a V8 in the Z-car and start from there.

I don't care what cars can beat mine. I like Zs purely and simply for the way they look, the way they handle and the aura/legend/character/ whatever-you-want-to-call-it that they have. For me, a bitchin paint job, a smooth motor and good handling are the ultimate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Alice (Grandpa Joe) in Wonderland

Whoa........ The only bad Z or ZX or ZXT out there are the ones no longer usable. But then again... If all were on the road.. Where would we get used parts from?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
> Having just reread all the responses to this
> post, I gotta add 2 more cents worth.

> For all you out there who worship at the
> great altar of horsepower, forget the early
> Z-cars. I'm sure that a stock Toyota Tercel
> could probably beat one either through the
> twisties or off the line. And that gardener
> in the 20-year-old pickup with the 454? He
> could probably beat most early Zs off the
> line WITH all the lawnmowers in the back.
> ****, I've seen fuelie VWs at the drags that
> would blow away any stock automobile ever
> made. So what? I can't in my wildest
> imagination see how that proves one car is
> 'better' than another. Some are just faster.
> Live with it. Or, as has been observed on
> this forum in the past, if that's all that
> matters, forget blowing all kinds of $$$$ on
> hopping up the straight six -- just dump a
> V8 in the Z-car and start from there.
hey might be able to slip a jag v-12 with a little metal work.... then see what the old guy with the 454 has to say about that.

just a thought.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Bloodsuckers

> Whoa........ The only bad Z or ZX or ZXT out
> there are the ones no longer usable. But
> then again... If all were on the road..
> Where would we get used parts from?

Grandpa, we'd have to go to the Vampires at Nissan. What a sad day that would be. $60 buck an hour those leeches charge.

Chris Behney
Redline Autosports
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,400 Posts
Re: one other question...

> Who built your engine? I'm also in Ontario
> and plan on doing my engine soon and I'm
> looking for someone with experience of
> buildinf Z engines.
> Thanks
> Chris
Sorry about the delay my computer is at work only.
my engine was built by Dieter Roth at Custom Automotive Services at 905 432 3756 in Oshawa east of Toronto. If you really want wild though.. he just got in a 1994 300zx twin turbo complete for 8000.00 including tranny, diff and half shafts needs a computer, intercoolers and airflow meters only 60,000km on it. Tell him you heard about him from ZR8ED. hope it helps.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top