ZCar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently rebuilt the fuel system on my 280Z and thanks to all of you who gave me help in doing that. The car has been running great for the last month or so. Yesterday I did some pressure washing on the bottom side of the car being careful not to get the upper side of the engine wet. I thought I was very successful at that. It ran fine for my short test drive afterward. I just now took it out and after about 5 minutes the engine started a fluttering sound. Not the smooth power you would normally get. Down shifting I get some noticeable fluttering as well - not back firing. Just revving the engine sounds fine. Any thoughts on what might have happened?

Thanks in advance,
GT

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've recently rebuilt the fuel system on my 280Z and thanks to all of you who gave me help in doing that. The car has been running great for the last month or so. Yesterday I did some pressure washing on the bottom side of the car being careful not to get the upper side of the engine wet. I thought I was very successful at that. It ran fine for my short test drive afterward. I just now took it out and after about 5 minutes the engine started a fluttering sound. Not the smooth power you would normally get. Down shifting I get some noticeable fluttering as well - not back firing. Just revving the engine sounds fine. Any thoughts on what might have happened?

Thanks in advance,
GT
I'd suggest making a video and posting it on youtube so we can hear the problem and go from there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mr.GT75Z:

From the info provided, my first guess would be an ignition issue brought on by the wash.

Possible fix: blow out the distributor; after drive, check plugs of even (or not) firing; check plug wires for shorts, etc.

After a day or two of drying out, it may run OK again...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most times I expect there is water in the TPS.
What is the TPS? Do you mean the TVS (Throttle Valve Switch)? I checked that for water and saw no signs but sprayed air on it to dry it out just in case.
I checked the plugs and they all seem fine. Opened the distributor and dried it out.
After I did my spraying I checked the engine and it was totally dry. I did clean the inside of the hood and may have splashed some water somewhere but I was careful not to.
All that to say, the problem still exists. I will try to get a recording of it and post it if possible.

Thanks,
GT

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the TPS? Do you mean the TVS (Throttle Valve Switch)? I checked that for water and saw no signs but sprayed air on it to dry it out just in case.
I checked the plugs and they all seem fine. Opened the distributor and dried it out.
After I did my spraying I checked the engine and it was totally dry. I did clean the inside of the hood and may have splashed some water somewhere but I was careful not to.
All that to say, the problem still exists. I will try to get a recording of it and post it if possible.

Thanks,
GT
Well I tried to making a video but you can't here the exhaust well enough. Oh well, hopefully the water will dry up. I can't imagine what I did.

Thanks,
GT

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
.02c Check the power and ground connections off the battery (not the battery itself). If one is loose you could be momentarily losing power, which would show up on a drive or downshifting when the engine "shakes" on the mounts.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.02c Check the power and ground connections off the battery (not the battery itself). If one is loose you could be momentarily losing power, which would show up on a drive or downshifting when the engine "shakes" on the mounts.
Thanks dumbestone, I'll let you know.

GT

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks dumbestone, I'll let you know.

GT
Dumbestone, I checked the battery connections to the starter and lo and behold, the positive contact was quite loose. I thought you might have hit it on the head, but sorry to say, it has not solved my issue.

Thank you
GT

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
You have an engine miss. Since the wash probably caused it, there is probably water in a connection or a loose connection somewhere.

Think about what affects plug firing. Electrical connections to the injectors, plug wires at either end, TVS.

You could go through the FSM and perform the fuel system checks. I note that my 04/78 car has at least some AFM wiring that matches later cars ie 82 5 pin connector on the bottom of the AFM.

IF some cars were built that don't match the year specified in the FSM, you will need to understand what's being measured and not blindly check resistance. At least 1 difference is 5 pin vs 7 pin AFM connections.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts