ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding my 81zxt motor from top to bottom and I was wondering about cleaning out all the old fluids, ie: coolant/mineral deposits from radiator, oil and grit from oil cooler and lines, fuel from fuel tank and lines, brake fluid and I think that's it. Please let me know if there are any specific ways to go about this.

thanks

·
Registered
571 Posts
One of the biggest problems reported by our people is our cooling system.
I personally think you can clean and flush so much and when done your temperature gauge will reflect the results in degrees Fahrenheit. I went the route of cleaning flushing and changing the thermostat and the like and it didn’t really do the job. You can flush your brains out and never attain the results of replacing some simple and easy stuff. I changed radiator, water pump, and hoses and cleaned the whole thing to new. Now it runs cool at any speed. Remember you can flush out just so much crud without infringing on the structural integrity of the system. That stuff is acid, works well on a big old block but eats away at other things. My vote is first flush, and then replaces the lot. This way you don’t have to forever back track fixing those thing.
As for other ststem fluid system? Someone else will finish this post.

Madeline Michele
Hollywood, FL

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Brake lines: Denatured (methyl) alcohol is the std. flushing fluid but it can attack non-metallic parts and should only be used on the metal lines unless you are going to replace the other parts.

Gas tank: Same as above. If you want to live dangerously, some people use stronger stuff, but I won't recommend it here.

Oil cooler: Gasoline or mineral spirits.

All the above are flammable.

·
Registered
717 Posts
When you flush the brake system, take the opportunity to replace the DOT3 type brake fluid with DOT5 synthetic fluid. 1 - It will not attract moisture like DOT3. 2- It will not eat the paint off your car if you get a leak or spill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.