ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the floor of my Z, there is this stuff that is starting to crack and pop off. It appears to be hardened tar paper, and maybe that's what it is.

Anyone know what it actually is and where to find replacements?

Also, is there something else that would do the same job but possibly better? i.e. sound proofing

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
949 Posts
It's there to keep the inside of the Z from sounding like the back of a '68 Econoline van. When I pulled mine up, I found surface rust. It seems like it gets put on before the inside of the car was painted. I treated the surface as reccomended and covered it with POR-15, then after it dried I put down Dynamat. Expensive stuff, but really does the trick. I liked it so much I've been covering the backsides of my rear plastic panels with the stuff too.
KS

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 71 that has the same covering. I have added carpeting pad instead of the original brown pad to get some additional sound deading. I am real interested in the dyna mat experiece. Most instalation call for it to go directly to the metal. Can you elaborate on your process. DPappe Seattle

·
Registered
824 Posts
I was informed that it a resin has asbestos fibers inbeded in it, it is the same stuff that they put on the underside of the car.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Dyna-mat,V-block,Stinger and others make material in large sheets or square foot pads that will take the place of the tar paper.Most has adhesive backing and works best with a heat gun and roller to get it to really lay down into the conturs of the floor.They also make a spray(like rubber under coating)for the back of plastic panels.Just make sure you get all the old tar up,heat gun and scaper,or wait till it's cold and chip it up with a chisel, then clean floors well and treat with a rust kill before you lay the new stuff.The cleaner you get the floors the easier this will be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.