ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1973 240Z with 173,000 miles on it. It's a good car and reliable. (drove it from seattle to chicago in the dead of winter - no problem)

Anyway, the floors look like swiss cheese, and the two long metal pieces (i think they are called 'frame rails') are hanging down an inch or two below the floor pans.

I've seen those $210 floor pan replacements. What does a project like this end up costing with labor? I've never welded, so I would have someone else do it. Is it worth it?

thanks for time.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If ya love the car, it's worth it. If your sole concern is getting the reasale value out of the repair, it ain't worth it.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>73 240Z's are worth it....</b>

I have never met anyone that didn't enjoy their 73 240Z. Their just a great car.... In IMHO... Mine has never left me sitting on the side of the road... Your problem is a tough call....even if you enjoy the car. How is the rest of the car as far as rust is concerned???? If its bad, I would go hunting in AZ or CA. You can look at cars with pictures on the net or e-mail. If the rest of the car is good... check ouot a few body shops and get a few quotes....I guess the answer all depends on how handy you are with a wrench, and how much money is in your pocket.

Good Luck....

Dennis

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I had the pans replaced in my 72 about 2 year ago. Wasn't that bad. Pans cost me $160 from motorsport for the standard straight pan. I had no problems with them leaking after they were installed. It ran me $350 to have them replaced. On my now 73, I went to my local body shop and talked to a guy to help me outside of work replace my pans. He is coming to my house on Sunday and putting in my new pans for $75. It is worth it and you should have no problems. Any decent body shop should be able to do the job.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the rest of the frame and make sure it is in good shape first. On my 75 the frame is rusted through in the wheel well very badly and is bending. Talked to a frame shop and he can't do anything till I strenghten up the frame only problem is that the frame is bent and I don't wasnt to fix it in that position. Sam 75 280z, 81 280zxt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>RE: Floor Repair Worth It?</b>

In Wick Humble's book "How to Restore the Datsun Z-Car," there is an excellent section on rust repair. It was photo'ed at a place called Rust Doctor in New Jersey (phone number is in the book, which is available from Amazon.com or Barnes&Noble.com or any of the Z catalogs). I called Rust Doctor, as they sell replacement floor pans/rails ($270 for both sides, I think he said). They come with complete installation instructions, so if you're at all handy with a welder, you can do it yourself. If not, it will help a pro welder, as it shows you where to cut, tack, etc. Alternatively, you could possibly TAKE the car there, as they do specialize in Zs (I'm from CA so it doesn't seem that far on a map from IL to NJ).

Is it worth it? Depends on the car and what owning it means to you. If the floorpans are the only rusted-through part, I'd say go for the repair. One more note: If you're honest when you sell, expect to get a few hundred less than if the car was all original.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<b>DO IT.....more</b>

Do it for the sake of saving a Z. I assume you have the $$$ or you wouldnt ask. You wont regret the job when completed. It can even be a selling point in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.