ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the flexplate for an automatic the same as the flexplate for a manual transmission? The flywheels are different sizes I was wondering if they were different. I am installing a 5spd where an auto was and I need to know if I need to get the flexplate.

Thanks,
C.Wade

· Registered
968 Posts
C. Wade,
I have not looked at the manual's flex plate recently and don't remember what it looks like. I have to double check tomorrow but I know the 2 flex plates are totally different for auto and manual trans. The auto has 2 separate pieces and the manual I believe is a 1 piece.. (not real sure here).
Vinh
http://vvu.tripod.com

· Registered
2,676 Posts
Absolutely not!

If your putting a manual transmission in you will need a fly wheel instead of a flex plate. You will also need a clutch disc and pressure plate as well as pilot bearing a release bearing and release bearing retainer and fork. In case you didn't know it.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Absolutely not!

Graham,
You insult my intelligence. :) I guess I didn't phrase my question well enough. I was asking about the thin piece of sheet metal that goes between the flywheel and the block, it has a little cut-out for the starter to poke through. I may have been wrong in calling it a flexplate, is it called something else? Regardless, is the manual transmission plate different?

C.Wade

· Registered
2,676 Posts
No insult intended!

The piece you are talking about is refered to as a dust cover or cover plate and I would install it. When I read your original post I first thought maybe you were trying to have some fun but then you never know!

· Registered
2,676 Posts
Sorry and thet are different.

The auto cover has a panel that comes off the bottom so you can get at the torque converter bolts. You should be able to get the cover from an auto wreckers. If you cant get one let me know I have a few of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.