ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 83' zxt that fried a ground wire going to the injectors a while back. I assumed that if I carefully replaced every damaged wire and went from there, I'd have it running in no time (note that asume starts with ass and ends with me!) After getting it rewired, I got no spark as far back as the coil! So far I have replaced the ECU, coil, distributor, coilwire, and still nothing! So far I've dumfounded a local Z-nut/ mechanic, and a guy that retired from Nissan after 20 years in the service dept.
Somebody please help me revive my baby!!! Thanx in advance

Tony Rohn

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I have an 83' zxt that fried a ground wire
> going to the injectors a while back. I
> assumed that if I carefully replaced every
> damaged wire and went from there, I'd have
> it running in no time (note that asume
> starts with ass and ends with me!) After
> getting it rewired, I got no spark as far
> back as the coil! So far I have replaced the
> ECU, coil, distributor, coilwire, and still
> nothing! So far I've dumfounded a local
> Z-nut/ mechanic, and a guy that retired from
> Nissan after 20 years in the service dept.
> Somebody please help me revive my baby!!!
> Thanx in advance
> Tony Rohn

Hi
hope I can give you some helpful advice.
I had a similar problem with my 82zxt.
First, make sure the cylinder head temperature sensor is pluged in. it's on the side of head near the starter. Unplugging this connector kills everything. Secondly, there should be power at the coil with ignition turned on. Third, you should check for power at the distributor. Insert the voltmeter probe into the each of the wires
of the four wire connector at the distributor.
If i remember correctly, you have to insert the
probe from undernaeth the connector.
Anyway, the black/white wire should have 12v, black wire 0v( this is the ground wire for the circuits inside the distributor, you should make sure you have 0 ohms between this wire and the battery ground.), green/black and green/yellow should show 2.5v to 5v only when the engine is cranked.
If you have no 12v, the check the E.F.I. relay.
It's the one inside the fender on passenger side just before the shock tower. You have the remove
a small plastic cover to get to it, two screws.
if you only have no voltages on the green/black and green/yelow wires, the optical pickup in the distributor is bad, this means new distributor.
Bytheway, follow the 4 wires from the distributor,
quarter way up the engine, there's a round connector there. This is where I found my problem
it was partially disconnected,causing intermittent problems.
good luck.
tom.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom,

Thanx for the advice, hopefully it will help me find the solution! I'll post again as soon as I have a chance to check on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.