107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 78 280Z that had a (Motorsports?) plastic air dam when
I bought it. The dam was very loose and almost falling off. Since I
don't have a good stock replacement I'm forced to try to repair this
cracked and ugly thing. Is there a good technique to repair a 3 long
crack in this plastic piece. It's fairly flexible so I don't know what
would stick to it (probably not fiberglass). I'd like to avoid riveting
a plate to the backside simply because rivets become very obvious.

Any ideas?

Chris Arneson
78 280Z in WY

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Chris,
You could try to do some plastic welding with a soldering iron on the back side. I have a friend who works on alot of motorcycle fairings and he does alot of fixes with this method. You would have to do some finish work on the front side with glazing putty or filler. You could also try some epoxy on the back side, just rough it up real well so the epoxy has something to grab on to. Just some thoughts, good luck.

Russel 83ZXT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> I have a 78 280Z that had a (Motorsports?)
> plastic air dam when
> I bought it. The dam was very loose and
> almost falling off. Since I
> don't have a good stock replacement I'm
> forced to try to repair this
> cracked and ugly thing. Is there a good
> technique to repair a 3 long
> crack in this plastic piece. It's fairly
> flexible so I don't know what
> would stick to it (probably not fiberglass).
> I'd like to avoid riveting
> a plate to the backside simply because
> rivets become very obvious.

> Any ideas?

> Chris Arneson
> 78 280Z in WY

There are plenty of places that repair plastic sport bike fairing components. Check out the classifieds in the back of Motorcyclist or Cycle World, or do a search on the key words fairing + repair.

If you're a do it yourselfer, I'd suggest you look up a catalog of epoxy body fillers through a good search engine like http:www.profusion.com.

Victoria-British Limited at <A HREF=http://www.victoriabritish.com>http://www.victoriabritish.com</A> sells an unbreakable Urethane air dam for about $180. That might be a better investment than fixing one that will only break again.

What I did however was cover the original front spoiler on my '82 ZX coupe with a piece of 4 inch wide flexible black Urethane molding from J.C. Whitney. The thing has a longitudinal flap that covers its retaining screws and looks factory. It doesn't break when it hits curbs and speed bumps like most expensive air dams. The price was about $30.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> I have a 78 280Z that had a (Motorsports?)
> plastic air dam when
> I bought it. The dam was very loose and
> almost falling off. Since I
> don't have a good stock replacement I'm
> forced to try to repair this
> cracked and ugly thing. Is there a good
> technique to repair a 3 long
> crack in this plastic piece. It's fairly
> flexible so I don't know what
> would stick to it (probably not fiberglass).
> I'd like to avoid riveting
> a plate to the backside simply because
> rivets become very obvious.

I have a plastic airdam on my car. It is a flexible type of plastic. Came on the car so I don't know if it is stock or not. Havn't seen any other like it except on a web page somewhere on another Z. Anyway I took a wire bruch for a drill and cleaned off the back of it and used a fiberglass repair kit to fix the cracks. It was really banged up in places. Works well havn't had any problems with it. Fiberglass repair kits stick to anything. Sam 75 280z
> Any ideas?

> Chris Arneson
> 78 280Z in WY

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
FYI: Try black ABS cement, from your local home craft/repair outlet. It can be found in the plumbing section where black ABS pipe fitting are located. For best results use a piece of ABS material to back up area. Glue both pieces and hold them together for a couple minutes. Better yet clamp together let set up over night.

Dave
ZCSD
IZCC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.