ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a horrible miss all the way through my rpm band. couldnt drive the car normal, ran fine at full throttle. I plugged off my egr (just did headers, and wouldnt not bolt up), then i proceeded to pull the plugs. All 6 plugs had carbon deposits all over them, #4 was hand tight, and the gap was completely closed on #6 (just had timing belt water pump job done). So I dont know if it was something they did cause it didnt miss like that when i took it to them. Anyhow i put new plugs, new coil packs, and new boots, the miss is gone. I test drove it then pulled #6 again to see if the cylinder was hitting it and closing the gap, and it is NOT...any ideas as to what may have caused it? Do I need to check again??

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Perhaps the plug was dropped in there, or hit the surface around the threads while being installed, causing the tip to get smashed. Mine did that once, when the plug accidently fell out of the socket. The piston wouldn't be hitting the plug, unless you have some crazy long plug. What kind of plugs are you using, btw?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
well I would check the timing and the cam gears if possible. although I dont think that could cause the gap to be crunched. The only thing that would cause that would be if the piston throw was too long, or the wrong spark plug was there (i.e. sat too deep in the plug well.) I hope you didn't pay to have the 60K or 120K service done and they didn't even change or check the plugs. . .

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am running denso plugs part number is K20r-U11 3139. It wasnt really the "60k" service persay. I know the people at the garage that did it real well and the guy did it on his own time. The deal just included timing belt water pump, thermostat, and all hoses. Im not gonna pay for something I can do it 20 minutes. But they said the timing was right on the money. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
okay, to save yourself soe future anguish. take out the Denso's and put the NGK's in there. Z's are notorious for running crappy on anything other than the stock NGK plugs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.