ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fixed the flasher/hazard problem. Bad contacts inside the hazzard switch. I took it apart and used emory cloth to clean the contacts. Put it back together and it works just fine. I think that many of the switches and relays in any car of this vintage will experience this problem. I had to take apart my headlight switch a while back to fix the same type of thing happening in my dash lights. So, it's fixed.

Side note on this switch: As you know, If you remove the hazzard switch, the turn signals quit working. If you need turn signals and don't have a working hazzard switch you can do the following: Using a shunt piece of wire, short out the two solid green wires (all other greens have a stripe) this completes the turn signal circuit.

Steve Graber

·
Registered
804 Posts
I guess when I was jiggling the wires, it was making improved contact and making them work again. Thanks Steve. You are very correct on these vintage cars. Almost every problem I've encountered on my '74 has been electric related. All the these problems were easily fixed with just some simple cleaning of the connections, except for the tach., which needed replacement. Glad you got it going. Hope your lash pad prob works out to be this easy. Z ya

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 76 280Z that has an intermittent problem with the headlight switch, I'll give that a try.

Do you have any experience with turn signal switches? My left turn is non functional and right is only an occasional event. Would at least try to repair before spending many $$$ on a replacement.

Thanks

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
> I have a 76 280Z that has an intermittent
> problem with the headlight switch, I'll give
> that a try.

> Do you have any experience with turn signal
> switches? My left turn is non functional and
> right is only an occasional event. Would at
> least try to repair before spending many $$$
> on a replacement.

> Thanks

I found that the hazard switch can cause that very problem. When I was playing with that switch before fixing it, I could get one side or the other turn signal to cut out or come back in just by pressing really hard on the rocker. It will probably fix your turn signals if you just take the hazard switch apart and clean it.

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.