ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after about two and a half hours of driving me my mom and my moms finance finally arrived in carmel ny to get my 71 datsun 240z.
The couple I bought it from said it needed a new water pump and a new vent hose (that connects to the gas tank). So we went prepared I brough with me two floor jacks, a complete tool set, three jugs of antifreeze, 4 quarts of oil, a oil filter, all major ignition components (distributer cap, spark plugs, coil, condenser, points) and various other things... I was prepared for anything!
When we first got to the car we decided I to try and start her up. Crank, crank, crank, crank, crank... no good, the engine just kept turning. We knew it was probably some sort of electrical problem so Wayne (my moms fiance) pulled off the distributer cap and noticed that the points weren't sparking... hmmmmmm, could it be the coil... I hope not because that's the one ignition part I didn't bring?? So lets try to put on a new set of points we decided. OK done. Crank, crank, crank, crank... no spark. SHITTT!!!
Now at this point we are pretty scared! We are out in the middle of nowhere on some mountain in twenty degree weather that we drove almost three hours to get to and the cars not running... even though it ran pretty good last time.
So we start messing with the coil and while Wayne was moving a wire he got shocked... that's not supposed to happen (we had the key in the "on" position but it's still not supposed to shock you)! there must be a short! so we run into the car and turn the key and it fires right up! runs like a champ! spurt sput sput... it dies. So we wiggle the wire and it fires right up. OK good problem solved.
Now, I start to replace the water pump while Wayne works on the fuel vent hose.
About 40 minutes later we were done. So we pour gas in and anti-freeze. Great no leaks!
So I say good-bye to the owner and off we were.
My moms in her car and me and wayne are riding in my car, everythings going great when all asuden about 1 mile after leaving the owners house the car dies. Ok so we made it to the shoulder and wiggle that stupid wire, then start it. Boom! It's working again. So off we were, well, so I thought until it dies again. Get out, wiggle wire, car starts again. This was getting old and annoying, especially since we were on a major highway.
OK so we were rolling again and went about 2 miles when my car dies AGAIN! As we were trying to coast onto the shoulder my mom decides it would be a good idea to pull along side us and see what was going on... and blocking our chance of getting onto the shoulder. MOM!! Well there we were sitting in the middle of the road up in the mountains with cars whizing by us. My mom starts screaming, "I'm calling AAA!!! Get in my car!" so I yell back, "shut up mom, I didn't do all this work to tow it back!" all the time car flying by just missing us.
We finally push it to the shoulder, fool with the wire and get it going again.
Starts up fine, and gets us to a gas station in one piece. While in the gas station we bought some electrical tape and tapped up the wire real good. If this doesn't work we thought, it was going to take a real long time to get home if we have to pull over every five feet.
Well, guess what? It worked! It worked great! The car runs beautifuly all the way home. Besides some pretty bad trafic jams going through NY (we were completely on edge... very scary thinking what would happen if we broke down in a traffic jam with no shoulder) it was a great ride. Well, I'm pretty tired of typing now, and a little beat from all the work and stress so I'm going to bed.

· Registered
232 Posts
Love it! I remember all the "on edge" times of bringing home a fresh one...ahhh a big hill....i really wish I had thought of testing the brakes BEFORE now...cccrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaapppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
Congrats
chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.