ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished topping up my coolant after the 30 hour ordeal of ripping off the front of my engine and getting at the timeing belt. I finished it up and took her for a drive and it runs like a champ, except when i have my headlights off and the air off and let it idle she idles at about 6-7 hundred rpm and sounds like she's guna die... i checked my fuel filter and it seems like it's SUPER old so i think i'm going to replace that and if that doesn't help anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It idled at about 700, and sounded like it was going to die before the timeing belt change, now it still idles at 6-7 hundred and sounds like it's going to die. The studder only occurs when I slam my foot down and it's idleing, also in 2nd at about 2-3 thousand rpm there's a slight studder but after that the car runs normaly, I also did not put the AC pully on or the pully arm because i never us the AC caus i's cold in Canada and when it's hot I take off the T-tops

Post Edited (Sep 12, 11:20am)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's a NA, i didn't touch the CHTS while doing the timeing belt and i have not done codes yet but i'll post later tonight with them

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Have you tried just turning up the idle and seeing if this solves the problem?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Definitely run your ECU codes. The reason that I asked you for year and whether or not it was a turbo is because I have been told before that 84-85 NA's (like mine) sometimes suffer from a rough-idle when the engine is cold is cold.

It is obvious in my 85 n/a that until the engine warms up the fuel mixture is lean even though I have replaced the CHTS and CHTS subharness and verified (by running the ECU codes) that it works.

Slicktop from z31.com suggests replacing the ECU with an 87 or later ECU. Apparently they have upgraded fuel curves and "CHTS bypass" if the CHTS wire in the main wiring harness has corodded at some point. I have not gotten to test this theory yet. He also suggested fooling the CHTS by using the FPS's signal to trick the current ECU into thinking that the engine is colder then is being reported.

Run the codes and let us know if you come back with any!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.