ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of restoring my z and i like the way some of the cars look without the gap between the headlight bucket and the fender, can i just weld the two parts together and finish it like that? I was also thinking of welding the lower valance peice that the blinker mounts to on the fender/bucket unit. Can anyone think of a reason not to besides the pain of replacing after a collision?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
cant weld fiberglass.. i was thinking the same thing.. they sell fiberglas fenders with the bucket attached.. that may be what you saw.. i was thinking of using body putty or soemthing less drastic than welding to make it more flush.. mainly cuz i cant weld..i was gonna ditch the parking lights too..

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have fiberglass buckets and steel fenders. I sanded all the paint off the gaps with 60 grit to get it rough, then used fiberglass resin. It's kinda messy as it is thin and will run down the sides but it has held for the last 6 years. If yours are steel I would weld them or get someone else to do it. That's if you want to be sure they won't crack.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Epoxy resin will work excellent for this. (This may be what T4240Z is referring to.) And if you buy it at a marine store, you can get thickeners that will thicken it to the consistency of peanut butter to eliminate problems with runs. Just make sure both the bucket and fender are clean and bare metal/fiberglass (no paint) before you apply it. Use latex gloves, too, as the stuff is hard to get off of hair, clothes, fingers and anything else it touches. Also be aware that you must wait at least 24 hours for epoxy to properly set, and that it is much more time consumning to sand than bondo. Very tough stuff, though, impervious to everything up to about .50 caliber and should last the life of the car.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I frenched in the headlight shells on my 76 that I am restoring right now. In fact by Thursday the year long job will be done. Anyway, what I did was to strip the shell down to bare metal and use an angle grinder on the fender to take the paint off in the first few inches. Then I hung the fender and the shell into place and bolted them down tight in their correct locations. I then used my mig to stitch them together, basically an inch of weld and an open, unwelded inch from top to bottom. While I was at it I also cut a piece of 22 gauge steel and welded it over my side light openings (did this front and rear). I grinded the welds smooth and then used body lead to lead in the gaps getting it close to perfect before switching to bondo to finish it off. Came out nice and seamless and looks great with the MSA aerokit installed.

Since you have a fiberglass shell consider using an epoxy like someone mentioned, maybe the good marine stuff called WEST epoxy, to bind the two together before you fill in the gaps. WEST also makes an additive that turns the regular adhesive epoxy into a sandable filler, that way you stay with basically the same product thoughout the job.

Expect a lot of work to get it perfect, but once painted I think you will love the results.......................

Charles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.