Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=EM
http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=OM03

Hey fella's I'm just wondering which mirrors you have used for fender mirrors... around here I've never seen fender mirrors on any cars so I think it will be a very original touch for my Z.. if anyone has some pics to show off please do... expecially the 280zx guys because that is what I want to put them on. it's a 1979 280zx.. low K's on it and a bit of body rust and no frame,floor,spare tire, or under the battery rust.. very clean car. but it needs fender mirrors.. also any comments on the function of the mirrors would be apreciated as well. thanks

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I always wondered, what was up with older japanese cars having fender mirrors?

They looked kinda neat on the first gen fairlady's that I've seen pics of, but I just never understood 'em.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
I like them, I'm gonna get me a set some day.

theres some links to some pictures of some JDM Zs on the "what money can buy -" topic from yesterday mostly 1st gens but theres a few 2nd gens there as well.

Nice to see you got your self another 280ZX, welcome back:)

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
actualy you can't see well out of them. some ppl say they can but, it's very hard to beleave since i ran them for a while. as far as why they were fender mirrors on the jap cars. i beleave it was a tax situation. the cars were measured and if it was wider then a certain width, you paid more in taxes. this is what i have read. also, i noticed that the parking spaces are tight. i would imagine that mirrors that stickout will get broken off easily. now they have electric fold in mirrors.. pallnet

Post Edited (Nov 30, 12:00pm)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Chris is right. The old Jags, Austin Healeys, Mg's, etc. all had them in addition to the interior mirror. At speed you would see a car approaching without turning your head. If you needed to identify the car exactly, you had to use the interior mirror as the fender mirrors moved a lot more than the door mounted ones do.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
no, actually...

you ahve absolutely no blind spots with them, and can park VERY easily in VERY tight spaces using them...

Why not use Nissan OEM wing mirrors? They are available for the 79 with electric operation, which will connect directly to your existing switches, all you need do is extend the harness.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Width Restrictions are the cause...

The wing mirrors are there to keep the vehicle from being wider than the allotted tax-restricted outside dimensions.
Mirrors on the doors usually have a provision to flip them against the side ot the car for parking in close spaces.
The mirrors moved to the doors in Japan when they changed the taxation laws to allow wider car dimensions.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I had fender mirrors on my 280. looked like these

was pretty nice not having to turn your head to look behind you. Im going to put then on my 240 also... I really like the look, but you can prolly tell that :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
****, the mirror on my driver side door jumps around enough being where it is. I don't see how anyone can make anything out in a fender mounted mirror. If you ask me it just adds to wind resistance and drag. I think their neat, but kind of a novelty idea. I don't trust side view mirrors anyways, and always check by turning my head and looking back, just incase. The rear view mirror helps a lot too. Well thats my $.02 on the matter. If you like the look go for it, cause I think thats all you get, is a look and no great function out of them.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've been driving cars with fender mirrors for almost 15 years and I have never had a problem with being able to see. You don't have a blind spot since you can see the whole length of the car and the lane next to you. That coupled with they look so **** cool. Never really thought of them as a novelty, More as a comfort, kind of like shifting with your left hand.

Gary 71 FairladyZ
Historic_Club

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow glad to see all the different opinions on them.. I want them because they are so unique.. but I'm not sure I want to do it to my clean Z.. but if the 280zx came with fender mirrors in japan then I want to use the same mirrors.
this Z is too nice to screw up.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Word, bro!

Driving with them as a novelty "for a little while" is not enough time or the same thing as driving withthem long-term.
Kinda like 400mm Broadway Wide Angle Rearview Mirrors. Can't STAND driving a vehicle without one now. The stock mirrors are so small compared to that!
Started with wing mirrors in 84, and still like the idea. My impressions were the same as Gumby's when first driving withthem: "Hey, I can see all along the side of the car, and the whole lane." No blind spot, no need to move your head side to side to "scan" the area before doing a head-check.
Simply glance over to the mirror, turn your head, and go.
Also, when someone overtakes you and is flashing their lights, you see the lights flashing DIRECTLY IN YOUR LINE OF SIGHT, and do not have to take your eyes off the road in front of you to see what the flashing was: you see the car in your mirror without having to look into the rearview.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
If I didn;t need mine...

I'd sell them off. I have a spare set for my 78 Fairlady ZX, but they are reserved for that car if something should happen to the ones currently on the car.
They are out there, look identical to the ones mounted on the door, except for the stalks that mount them to the fenders instead of the door (Longer and of slightly different angle).

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
see, toldja it was easy!

I know that car---I just haven't seen it since the mirrors were tacked on! LOL
Maybe in March at Palm Springs?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so where did you get your mirrors ratedZ? I like the look

1 - 20 of 22 Posts