ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a 280zx turbo with a auto to start off the line better.And also would it do better to let it shift ,or shift it buy myself.If I shifted it myself at what r.p.m should I shift .Also this turbo auto car is only as fast as my nonturbo 5spd.does this seem right.

·
Registered
529 Posts
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a
> 280zx turbo with a auto to start off the
> line better.And also would it do better to
> let it shift ,or shift it buy myself.If I
> shifted it myself at what r.p.m should I
> shift .Also this turbo auto car is only as
> fast as my nonturbo 5spd.does this seem
> right.

Your 280ZXT should do low 15's in the quarter mile if it's stock. This is considerably quicker than a non-turbo, be it stick or espically auto. If the turbo's not that fast, then there is something wrong with it. Start by getting a boost gauge. The stock boost gauge is worthless so forget about it. Get one from Autometer or VDO. There are more expensive ones out there but I don't see an advantage. If you are making less than 6lbs of boost, then there is something wrong. Check you vaccuum lines, especially to the wastegate. If OK, then check wastegate and turbo. Sometimes, when a turbo needs rebuilding, it will give less than adequate boost levels. If all of this is OK and you are getting 6lbs boost, then you may have a problem with the tranny. Make sure that it isn't slipping. If this checks out OK too, then you may have dirty injectors, worn fuel pump, or other fuel injection problem. Check the knock sensor and make sure that its not getting a false reading that retard timing prematurely. Maybe just replace it alltogether. You can desensitize the knock sensor by taking it out and reinstalling it using lots of pipe thread tape. Use caution, do not let the motor ping!!! Your turbo ZX should now easily be able to wax your non-turbo in a drag race.If you need more [email protected]

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.