ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about this time last year I changed my front and back brake pads. put about 15k miles on them which isnt that much right?. they have been making lot of noise lately, so I took off the back wheels and checked them. the back right out side pad was about 1/8 thick, the inside pad was 1/8 on one side and 1/4 on the other(like a slope). the back left was bad too the out side pad is about as thick as it was when I put it on(didnt measure it) with rust toward the outside edge. The inside pad is about 1/8 thick. havent checked the front yet but the front right is starting to grind so I know its bad off. oh yeah lots of brake dust every were.

Ok why did it do this? cheap pads?(oops), did I put the pads on wrong?(did it by the book, but I do recall them being hard to get on), bad calipers? bad rotors?

Justin T
1980 280ZX

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Sounds like its time to do the brake job the right way:

Shop manual
New rotors from Nissan
New brake pads from Nissan
Caliper rebuild kits from Nissan
New brake fluid (Ford Heavy Duty)

Take the time, spend the money, do it right.

- John

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid you were going to say that. The thing is I'm mad at my car(see my earlier post) and I dont want to spend anymore money(that I dont have) on it, because I'm going to buy another soon as I some the money and find one. So you think I could get away with just buying better brake pads? It stops fine now, I'm just worried it wont later.

Justin T

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Brakes are not the place to save money. At a minimum you should rebuild the calipers with Nissan parts, install new Nissan pads, and completely bleed the system.

- John

·
Registered
655 Posts
Although the price of the pads can make a difference it sounds as though something allowed the pad to get at an angle in the bore. First check and make sure there are no obvious obstructions like dust build up, rust etc. Second make sure new pads (cheap or Nissian) move smoothly throughout its entire travel distance (where they will be when time to replace again). Third consult the manual and grease the recommended points with a SMALL amount of grease to lubricate (too much and it will migrate to the pad and ruin it). Fourth make sure the rear caliper is adjusted out as far as it can without binding but aligh the notch with the peg on the pad). If the pad can slap around it will and get cocked in the bore (more than likely the cause). Fifth check the parking brake cable and lubricate as recommended in the manual. More times than not premature rear brake wear is because of the cable being stuck or hanging. If cheaper pads are your wish you may need to put up with brake squealing after a few miles.
Enjoy the ride!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.