ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of removing the my 280's fan. It is attached to the engine at where the water pump is. If I were to remove this fan, and install an electric, would there be any problems ?

The main reason I want to do this is to get rid of the Z's windy sound when I accelerate (A muffler would do it too, but I dont have $150 to get a good one). Will this do it ? When I press on the gas, I here a sound like you hear when some 1980's Toyota pickup is rev-ing it's
engine. And it's not just my car, I can spot Z's comming around corners by this sound :)

Does anyone think this will help ? Also, since it's crankshaft driven,will it make the car easier to rev, and add any performance increase (probably not a lot) ?

Thanks for any help
Paul

·
Registered
439 Posts
A couple of weeks ago my fan clutch went out while getting on the freeway and the Normal Whoosh sound immediatly stopped. I could actually hear the engine and I liked it alot. So I went to pep boys and purchased a 16 inch electric fan and thermostat switch for about $140. It barely fit, but it keeps the temp stable. I don't know how it will fair in the summer though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once you installed the new electric fan, how often does it go on? I guessing that on highway driving it will keep itself cool just from the huge force of wind... but what about in the city ? Does the fan stay on for most of the time, or just at stop lights.

I get stuck in traffic every now and then, and in the summer here in California it does get hot on the road.

How's your car handle the electric ?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Take into consideration that the electric fan needs 10-15 Amps while running. Sitting in traffic, with the wipers on because its raining, at night with the headlights on, with the A/C running on full to keep the windshield clear, and your new fan...the stock alternator isn't going to be happy.

I'm not against electric fans, I run one on my Jeep so that in deep water the fan doesn't get pulled into the radiator.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Howling fan is not normal</b>

If your fan is howling all the time, the fan clutch is locked up and worn out. If you install a new one, it should howl only when the engine is first started cold (for maybe 30 seconds), and on a hot day in slow traffic. Otherwise, you should not hear it, as it's freewheeling and not taking any power from the engine.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Go For It</b>

I just got a 15" electric fan to replace the stock one. I love my Z but I hate the fan noise when accelerating. One thing I have found out is that if your car heats up toomuch during the summer months just get a summer thermostat. Is one of the easiest pieces to replace. There is another post in this thread that deals with amperage and the guy is right, plan on upgrading your alt sometime soon. I have been trying to find out more aboutthe GM 100 amp alt conversion but have not gotten a good answer yet.
Craig76Z

·
Registered
54 Posts
Fan

Did you guys put the fan on the inside pulling the air through or the out side pushing the air through?
Web

·
Registered
117 Posts
RE: Fan

I put a 16" on the inside (puller). I have it connected to an electronic thermostat switch, I also rigged up a relay that switches the fan on when the a/c compressor is energized (disconnects the thermostat). I have also been thinking about adding a second front pusher fan that is switch controlled from inside the car. Here in Texas where summer heat can get over 110 I live in constant paranoia about overheating. The thermostat (cooling system) change is a good idea. I've looked at the amp draw issue. My fan draws 9.5a and I don't think it will be a problem as long as the battery is good and has a charge. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (please) but I believe the alternator on my 78 is rated 55a (Hitachi LT160?) and the additional draw from my fan (10a)should be within tolerance even with the headlights on (8a), wipers going (2.5a), a/c blowing (8a), radio blasting (6a) and honking the horn (5a) total (39a). I would feel better however with a 100a alternator and would like to know if anyone has made the swap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.