ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 83zx and the fan howls after 2000rpm.
I don think it did that before...... -_-;

I just bought new belts for it.. could I have over tightened the alternator/fan belt?
it actaully seems too loose to me.

or maybe they all just howl....

has this happned to anyone?

·
Registered
972 Posts
With the engine off try to turn the fan by hand. It should turn with some resistance. It should not be stuck, turn the pulley, wobble, or make noise. If so then the fan hub needs to be replaced.

ConorP

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree with ConorP, it sounds like your fan is stuck. Mine did that and I changed my fan and it doesn't do it anymore. If you have the spare money, why don't you change over to an electric fan and gain about 10hp. Go to www.zcarcreations.com, go to the How-To section, (electric fan install) and they explain it all. Only costs about 150-169 dollars for the best set-up. Just a suggestion.

Goodluck
chadzx

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
More specifically:
Your fan clutch is probably locked up. AVOID HI RPMS!!! or your fan might come apart trashing your radiator and making a mess.

Some have posted you can rebuild fan clutches. Others are into removing belt-drive fan altogether and go for electric aftermarket. Me I like the fan clutch when it works right. Went through two aftermarket units for $50 each but neither worked right - one never clutched in, thother never clutched out. Nissan OEM fan clutch was like $150, but it's been working great for about three years now.

Good luck!
Al

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about this fan?

10HP?
really?
well... an electric fan sounds good but I have a lot of questions about that.

hmmmm
I dont like the zcarcreations one.. looks like they had to go hunt for a lot of parts....

MSA sells one with "all hardware and thermostatic control"
$132.95
14"
has any one used this and is it anygood?
they have a "pusher" and a "puller" fan... I can guess the difference... but wich one is better...if any.
what happens to the mechanical fan and pulley?
apperently you can have both on (I guess having two fans would be good right.... or isn't it?)

finally...before I start replacing stuff....
I should try to move it by hand right?
and then if it is "stuck, turns the pulley, wobbles, or makes noise"
it's the hub.... or is the clutch?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Re: What about this fan?

Your fan clutch is shot! Replace it and the noise will go away. The electric fan
is a better route if you have the time.
Good luck.
LaRue

·
Registered
3,300 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok..imma on it....but.....

alright...
well I'll fix it asap....

this electric fan sounds good though.......

I'm just wondering if anyone's used the MSA fan... or if anyone has any recommendations for any.

and finally... can I use bothe the electric and mechanical at the same time?
and if so would that be even better than just the electric?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.