ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago I read a message concerning how to test a fan clutch. Can somone confirm that cold the fan blade should run relatively fast and hot the fan rotation should become stiffer. The reason I ask is 'cause on my car it's just the opposite. Also how safe would it be to get a fan blade from a yard verses getting one from Nissan? 83 280zx non

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Not too long ago I read a message concerning
> how to test a fan clutch. Can somone confirm
> that cold the fan blade should
> run relatively fast and hot the
> fan rotation should become stiffer. The
> reason I ask is 'cause on my car it's just
> the opposite. Also how safe
> would it be to get a fan blade from a yard
> verses getting one from Nissan? 83 280zx non
The fan clutch or Tem-coupling as Nissan calls it is controlled by a bi-metal coil that reacts to the air temperature coming off the radiator. When it is relatively cold the fan slips at about 1600 RPM. When the air temperature off the radiator gets hotter, the fan speed increases up to about 2450 RPM. Yours sounds like it is operating correctly. Don't ignore your fan clutch though. Mine failed on my 280 ZX last week and in city traffic it immediately overheated. So I had to get back on the freeway and drive at 70 MPH to keep the air flow up so that I could limp home. A used one could be all right if none of the silicon oil has leaked out, but I bought a new one for about $36.00. I wouldn't take a chance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.