Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing the fan clutch....
I'd like some advice cus Haynes has a way of giving you a false sense of how difficult or simple something really is....

in anycase....

I have an n/a 83zx.

It says I have to take the radiator out if I'm going to romove the fan shroud and fan.... do I really have to?

do I have take any of the belts out?
anything else I might have to do?

the haynes baisically says:

"remove radiator and shroud"
"remove fan"

...erm..right thanks a lot haynes.........
I want to do this tomorrow afternoon so advicew is need quuickly.
thnks ^_^

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
NAH!

You can do it without removing the rad, and if you are tedious, without removing the shroud. The bitch is getting the thing off. You have to pull the nuts from the studs on the water pump pulley. Then double-nut the studs and remove them (no belt removal yet, but slackening the alternator does make it slightly easier on reinstallation. If you can successfully remove the studs, the fan can be tipped backwards at thetop and removed without taking anything else off.
For me, I take off the upper shroud and pull the studs, and have had no problems.
CHECK YOUR WATER PUMP BY WIGGLING THE SHAFT WHILE YOU'RE IN THERE! If the shaft wiggles, change the pump too! Nothing's worse than changing a fan clutch and then having it all go through the radiator 5000 miles laterbecause the bearing goes south in the H2O pump of the shaft breaks off !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Why Bother

Why bother to even use the orginal setup with the clutch fan. Replace the the clutch fan with an electric fan and you gain a few more ponys and reduce some noise under the hood. It will not take you any longer to do that than to put a new clutch on the fan. You will be suprised at what you can gain by removing that P-Poor setup from factory.
Dean Maxey

G

·
0 Posts
I changed the fan clutch in my 83T and I do not remember removing the radiator. Not sure about the shroud but probably not. Keep the receipt on that fan clutch. They are usually warrantied for a lifetime with the original receipt. The truth (according to me) of the matter is that they are good for about three years then it is time to replace them again. Probably one of the most neglected maintenance items on a Z. Glad to hear you are changing it. Also, the electric fans do have merit. However, if you go that route get a good fan. Don't pinch pennies on that piece of equipment, it is simply too critical. Good luck. John

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for your help....
and thanks for those of you who answered a question I DIDN"T ask........
you suggestions are alwyas appreciated... but I'm sure silly ol me had a reason not to go with an electric.... ohh poo......

but um... thanks really. =)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.